Brits don't use front panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickC

This Brit uses them, but then again I've lived out of the country for nearly 20 years now, so perhaps I don't count as Brit any more. Whatever, they make my bike more comfortable to ride when fully loaded, so I use them.

andym

Über Member
ComedyPilot said:
If I was going big, I'd get front panneirs. But as I can fit my tent, mat, sleeping bag, cooking kit and clothing into two rear paniers, I see no need for fronts - at the moment.

I think that's probably where most of us are coming from (at least the ones who don't use front panniers).

OP
OP
Y

yello

snorri said:
WTF do the French know about Brits on tour, or are they referring to Brits who tour in France?

Now now, let's not get all hot and bothered :blush: Said article was about touring in Ireland and there was nothing more than observation about the comment.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
yello said:
Now now, let's not get all hot and bothered :blush: Said article was about touring in Ireland and there was nothing more than observation about the comment.

Yello, did you see my earlier post re French tourers? I don't recall seeing very many at all.

OP
OP
Y

yello

rich p said:
Yello, did you see my earlier post re French tourers? I don't recall seeing very many at all.

I did.

We get loads of cycle tourists this way but obviously I don't stop them to ask their nationality! I personally have no idea if the French cycle tour or not. Many of my club mates do but then that's to be expected - it is the FFCT! The 'CT' standing for cyclotourisme!

I seem to recollect that Richard Ballantine, in the original Richard's Bicycle Book, spoke out against front panniers, he stated they were "just too much baggage". Maybe his advice sank home and influenced many would-be tourers of the day. I don't know whether the same remark appears in later editions of the book.

Certainly I have never used front panniers, but then I have never gone cycle-camping (and my touring days are long over) so I didn't have the need. On the other hand, my son who has recently been cycle-camping needed both the front and the rear.

Robert

The original statement is a generalisation, and generalisations are often wrong.

On my last three tours in France I met four French tourists (two solos and a tandem), all charming people; three used a trailer and one front panniers only. The tandem couple who used a trailer were very insistent that we were going about things the wrong way with only two panniers on a tandem (credit card touring) and that we should use a trailer. The three people we met who used trailers were out on unencumbered bikes, and the details of what sort of tours they did and what their luggage arrangements were came out in conversation, so had we passed them without a word, they would have added to our perception that the French are not great cycle tourists.

What I've just said is a generalisation based on not very much, so, I'd suspect is the statement in the magazine quoted.

andym

Über Member
Davidc said:
The French have (or at least used to have) one very useful device which clipped onto the front rack - it was a bread carrier - took all sizes of french loaf!. Still have one somewhere in the loft!

Cool I want one of those. Does anyone know if these are still made? Or have they gone the way of onion sellers in stripey shirts?

andym said:
Cool I want one of those. Does anyone know if these are still made? Or have they gone the way of onion sellers in stripey shirts?

Something like this, perhaps?

http://www.hembrow.eu/frontrack.html

Otherwise check the index on the left-hand side.

andym

Über Member
No way am I riding with a basket...

A quick search did throw up this:

100_11031_01_911_z.jpg

http://www.kookit.com/t/fiche_produit.php?docid=140045

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use front panniers on a low rider rack, with a rackpack or saddlebag for hostel/hotel tours, and rear panniers for camping tours. I prefer the handling of the bike with some weight at the front, so when I'm also using rear panniers I make a point of keeping a fair proprtion of the weight in the front pair.

I have had the impression that French tourists prefer to use the front. I've come across some with quite big front panniers, and nothing on the back at all. It could be that the front end geometry of their bikes is subtly different from what we'd get here.

ASC1951

Guru
andym said:
No way am I riding with a basket...

A quick search did throw up this:

100_11031_01_911_z.jpg
Damn, I knew I had dropped something at Agincourt. So that's what Johnny Foreigner uses it for now, eh?

I preferred to tour with four panniers, for handling. The trick is to take only what will fill the back ones, then redistribute it, otherwise you take far too much.

[And for those who are interested in these things, 'pannier' originally means a basket for carrying bread.]

Tony

I have just returned from my tour, Germany to Hungary, and the bulk of Johnny Central European riders have only rear panniers, often rather large. All the Brits I saw had, like me, balanced front and rear loading.

Tony

snorri said:
..and always brand new too;), do these Germans renew their panniers after every tour?:wacko:

Oh yes! And so often in the organised tour colours....couldn't see how they coud ride it.
Seriously, so many of them had everything including tent piled on at the back that I couldn't see why they didn't fall over backwards.

Top Bottom