Brits don't use front panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

A comment in my FFCT (the French CCT equivalent) monthly magazine - Brits prefer to load up the rack and rear panniers, and not use front panniers. My casual observation, as I recall it now, would see some truth in that - what do you reckon?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would probably agree with that... you see far more rear panniers and racks for sale than front ones. I've only got rear ones currently myself. I thought that the front ones were meant to affect the handling of the bike more. (And presumably they are much harder to fit to mountain bikes - did France/continent ever go through a phase when everyone had to have one?)

OP
OP
Y

yello

I think the mtb thing is partly the difference. I think other European nations are more inclined to have dedicated tourers, or road going machines generally. Maybe Brits will tour on any old thing!

andym

Über Member
summerdays said:
I would probably agree with that... you see far more rear panniers and racks for sale than front ones. I've only got rear ones currently myself. I thought that the front ones were meant to affect the handling of the bike more. (And presumably they are much harder to fit to mountain bikes - did France/continent ever go through a phase when everyone had to have one?)

Yes but I'd say most racks are bought by people who want them for carry stuff to and from work or the shops etc rather than for touring. A rear rack is the traditional solution although I don't know that it is really any better than front panniers for the same job.

BTW I don't use front panniers (he said, conforming to the national stereotype) but I'm planning to get some for tours where I need to carry food and so need the extra luggage capacity. I can understand the argument that the bike would handle better with the load more evenly distributd between front and back but then you need to factor in the extra weight of the racks and pannier bags.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I toured for years with just two rear panniers and was pleased I could get all my camping gear in these.

Thirty years ago it seemed it was only Americans that had front 'lowriders'. Always thought it reflected their need for excess in everything.

But now I use fronts as well. Not only does the bike handle better, but keeping your stuff organised is easier with more 'compartments' to use.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If I'm camping I use front and rear out of necessity but I'm surprised to hear that. Most Brit camping tourists I've met on the continent have front and back. When I think about it I can't recall ever meeting more than a handful of French cycle tourers in France! They're invariably German, Dutch or British.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
andym said:
Yes but I'd say most racks are bought by people who want them for carry stuff to and from work or the shops etc rather than for touring. A rear rack is the traditional solution although I don't know that it is really any better than front panniers for the same job.

Thats why I bought my panniers for commuting and shopping. But have since B&B toured and so used the rear panniers then. I can't imagine being able to tour by tent unless I had front panniers too (I'm a girl so I need plenty of luggage space:biggrin:). Though I keep contemplating it... and what kit I would need to get to try it out.

Davidc

Guru
I used to have them when I camped with the bike. Still have the panniers but no rack at present!

After I bought them I found the bike handled much better, especially going slowly (and me with 30kg of kit going uphill always was the definition of slow!)

For general shopping and going around town I use rear ones, and one big advantage is that they join together for carrying. My front ones don't and I can't think how they could.

The French have (or at least used to have) one very useful device which clipped onto the front rack - it was a bread carrier - took all sizes of french loaf!. Still have one somewhere in the loft!

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I used to have front panniers but on a full rack not the low rider ones that are available now.

Would love to have them again but I have not been able to locate a full rack for the front anyplace of late ;)

Sp4rkym4n

MSeries

I use front panniers on low riders actually, to balance the bike and make it handle like the maker intended. MSeries recommends front panniers.

yello said:
Brits prefer to load up the rack and rear panniers, and not use front panniers.

Another great thing about being British! :biggrin:

Must admit that I don't need to, nor would I want to, have front panniers. Either I'd pack what I needed and keep things to a necessary minimum, or I'd pack the rear panniers full and load up the rack high.

Top Bottom