Brits don't use front panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Tony, long time no hear! Hope you enjoyed your trip: I'd heard about your Danube plan and have just had a look at your blog on CGOAB.

As I said my son was 'balanced' - front and rear - like all good British cyclists. He was planning to follow your route to Budapest, but a few weeks behind you, cycling all the way from Calais; but he had to abort half way through Germany with hub trouble. When he took the train home he ditched his front panniers in the nearest litter bin (along with a lot of his clothes) - he'd bought them very cheap and secondhand off the internet and they were falling apart. But he hopes to equip himself with better quality ones for next year's tour. He's hinting "Russia" and has already started learning the language...

asterix

Comrade Member
It probably is a matter of geometry. My tourer has low-rider bosses and I have the racks and panniers to fit. However, having tried them, I am happier with just rear loading. Using 50 litre panniers and a saddlebag I can carry a Hilleberg Nallo GT and everything else I need for a couple of weeks or longer.

I also have trailer but there's no way I'd take that on a tour:ohmy:

just4fun

when 1 first saw them in the netherlands 2 years ago i thought they were amazing and wanted to buy some. My other half promptly pointed out i could only just lift my bike and i needed to get rid of stuff not aquire more!

I think front-racks look nice and are useful however my initial thought is that you can carry just a much on rears as your front, but you also have the capacity to carry more on the back overall all, so in a straight choice between the 2 I would go for back.

Top Bottom