Brompton - new model in new year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Ed

Regular
hi all

I was just wondering, with the turn of the new year upon us shortly, will Brompton release a 2016 model...if they do yearly
models? If so is it worth gettin the new one over this years (2015) edition?

Thanks

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
They don't tend to do annual chanes, just make upgrades to better or more effective components as and when.

They are less reliant on the continual development of Shimano gearing for example than mainstream manufacturers so don't have the same commercial imperative to churn out a new model a year.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Thanks all

I was going to get one (finally my cycle2work scheme has been sorted out and I should get the voucher this week) and just didn't want to pick up one this side of chrimbo and find its outdated a week later or something!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Chances are the bike will be freshly built to order because the shop is unlikely to have one in the spec you require.

Most Brommies are sold that way, so they don't do model years in the same as other bike manufacturers.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Most changes are backwards compatible anyhow. I bet you could take an early Brommie and get the BWR 6 speed happening on it, frinstance.

chris folder

hi:smile: they have done the all black models still plenty of them about the 2016 bikes are all same as 2015 but they put the price up for 2016

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Have they updated the 1915 model yet?
You know how to hurt, 3BM ....

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Hey all

Thanks for the replies.

The voucher came through yesterday evening by email (I assumed it would be a proper watermarked letter but no, it's just like something I could knock up in Word in 5mins!)

So I have my £1000 to spend!!

It sounds like there's no real reason to hold out for anything next year so I guess I'll be heading to Evans Cycles at the weekend (the only place near me that has Bromptons).

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Hi:hello:so what would you go for? M series or s etc and how meny gears?

Hi

Well I was going to go quite "middle of the road" with an M3L. Then I thought about going up a step and getting the R (I think) so I had the rear rack. Then I started reading some reviews and read one in particular that said he found the 3gear a little weak even on a relatively shallow hill. Now my commute, depending on the route I take, can be up a low-medium hill for half the distance so I wonder now whether I should get an M6L/R...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have an S6L with reduced gearing (smaller chainring) and as a fat bloke can twiddle it up some pretty steep hills (honking on a Brompton ias nigh on impossible) and still have a tall enough gear for hammering along the flatlands. Lowered gearing good for fully loaded camping trips too.
The rack's best feature it seems is for wheeling the folded bike around where it's notably better than the non-rack version.
Luggage best carried on the front.
Marathon tyres.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom