Brompton - new model in new year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Question for people. Should the block that the bags connect to have come as standard with my bike?
No. But close your eyes, open your wallet and get one. Then take out another mortgage and get the bag of your choice. I persisted with cheaper options for years. Wasted years ...

That sorted - will it be LeJoG or or just a spin down to Istanbul for 2016? They do need to be 'run-in' :whistle:

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
I'm only asking as I noticed that I have a large black plastic block attached to the front of the bike which looks a lot like the bag block.

My understanding as that they didn't come with one though and I never agreed to, nor even asked, if I wanted to get one.

I'm just wondering now whether I paid for something I didn't ask for (even though ultimately I would've got one) or whether it somehow got included without being charged for it.

As Chris says, I will have to go on the bike
builder and check how much a basic M6L is and see if it comes out at £970 which is what I paid.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm only asking as I noticed that I have a large black plastic block attached to the front of the bike which looks a lot like the bag block.

My understanding as that they didn't come with one though and I never agreed to, nor even asked, if I wanted to get one.

I'm just wondering now whether I paid for something I didn't ask for (even though ultimately I would've got one) or whether it somehow got included without being charged for it.

As Chris says, I will have to go on the bike
builder and check how much a basic M6L is and see if it comes out at £970 which is what I paid.
Photo?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Have they updated the 1915 model yet?
giphy.gif

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well it'll take some of the pain of paying £100 for a frontbag (if I get the cheapo ones).

Question for people. Should the block that the bags connect to have come as standard with my bike?
You don't need to spend £100 necessarily for a Frontbag. Other options are available .....
Firstly you can buy separately the metal bag frame that attaches to the block to hold the larger bags. This is about £20 for an S-type and the taller C/T-type.

http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/34-luggage-spares

You can then attach a standard Carradice style saddle-bags or similar just fine with straps or large Tie-wraps. It sits there happy as Larry and as the metal frame already has a handle works on and off the bike.

Below is a Carradice Longflap Camper bag on an S-bag frame (under the tent!).

Bromtour.JPG

This is how I eventually went for a weekend cycle-touring with tent, cooking kit etc .... 65 miles each way!
The rear Karrimor Saddlebag also fits the front frame without issue.

IMG_2093.JPG

A basic Single pannier can also be attached to the frame with a little inginuity and the aforementioned Tie-wraps. @User and I have both succesfully use one of these on Brompton front frames, cheap as chips! For around £35 you could be sorted with a basic front bag. This fits better on the larger C/T-frame than my S.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BACOTRV/cordo-transvaal-single-bag

IMG_2217.JPG

I use these bags for general travel, commuting, shopping etc and swap according to need.
Food for thought .....

Last edited:

chris folder

Hi:hello: if you paid £970 for the bike the luggage block comes fitted to bike if you asked evans to take block off the bike it would be £955 evans ask brompton to fit most of there bikes with the blocks. The new 2016 prices are not at all brompton dealers yet same bike would cost more they gone up about £15

12boy

Guru
In my opinion that block is one of the best things about a brompton. I bought mine with a shopping bag and have since made a couple of wood fit ons so as to use other bags. The frame itself is a good deal and you could skip my fugly wood set up. I can carry a lot of weight in these bags and it just makes the handling feel more stable, since the center of gravity is so low. When the load is higher it can really affect handling.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Hi:hello: if you paid £970 for the bike the luggage block comes fitted to bike if you asked evans to take block off the bike it would be £955 evans ask brompton to fit most of there bikes with the blocks. The new 2016 prices are not at all brompton dealers yet same bike would cost more they gone up about £15

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Nice to know that they sold me the bike with an added non-standard extra without being told so!

Top Bottom