Brompton - new model in new year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sod that, I'm going back to the shop first thing in the morning to demand that my NEW bike is in good working order
I should think so!

Hope you get it sorted straight away and get a chance for a little ride. Shame you couldn't get green. Mine is green :smile: Had to pay extra though :smile:

12boy

Guru
I checked out both the NYCE Wheels and Brompton guides to fixing a flat. They are good but one little thing is missing that has made all the difference to me. Marathons are not always easy to get back on the wheel and I have damaged the sidewalls of a couple of new ones straining to get the tire back on. I had always put the tire back on starting with the part next to the stem. I had read somewhere to put that part on last and tried it to find I can now work those last few inches over the wheel rim much more easily. Sometimes even with my thumbs instead of a tire iron. The logic is you can have the tire edges on the side away from the stem go further inside the rim creating more slack for the last little bit. The stem prevents this when you begin there. I made myself a tool roll from some canvas and usually have a couple of rags in my bike bag. This way I can turn the bike upside down resting on the handle bar grips and my saddle with the tool roll and rags under those spots to avoid trashing my leather saddle and Ergon grips. Perhaps this is all well known to all, but it sure made a difference to me. I also wish I had the foresight to do a change and fix a time or two inside before attempting it on the road in the cold and dark.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Well I got it replaced but they insisted on charging me £6.50 for the inner tube. Apparently, and I guess I do understand this, the salesperson should have checked the bike over and would have noticed a flat tyre plus I had a responsibility to ensure that I was happy with the product before I left the store.

As it was they apparently could have charged me £15 to replace the inner tube but have waived that I good faith as I'd just bought it.

Last edited:

chris folder

Hi:hello: cant belive charged for it or did they let the 6.50 go? they could surely see you not been out on bike buy looking at clean tyres. must been over pumped? Did they put one of bromptons inner tube back in? I have yet to find better inner tubes when put pump on/off they dont let air escape good valves on them best I have come across

Kell

Veteran
Echo the above.

We bought a car and as we drove it from the dealership, the tyre puncture warning light came on. They didn't even inspect the car, but just told us to get a new tyre and send them the bill.

It would totally sour the experience for me and would mean I would take the bike elsewhere for servicing and to buy parts.

For the sake of £6.50 and goodwill, they should have just done it for free.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Hi have you had a ride on your m6l yet? :bicycle:

No I haven't had a proper ride. I did about 10feet just going forwards but it was more that I just wanted to check the gears and brakes worked! I'll have a proper ride out at the weekend.

My wife has submitted a complaint through Evans online feedback so maybe we'll see what they say

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Evans eh? Says it all.

I refused to get mine from Evans and avoid them like the plague if I can help it.

Well according to the scheme web portal, Evans was the only place that sold Bromptons for a 20mile radius!!

Heard back from Evans today, they've asked for a copy of the receipt but are happy to refund me the £6.25 as they agreed that I shouldn't cover that cost.

Edit::
Evans have actually decided to give a £15 refund to make up for my customer experiences!

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Fair play to them for that.

I still try and avoid them. It's not always possible though.

Servicing is the biggest problem when you commute from the sticks and almost all LBS don't do weekend servicing.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've never had any problems at Evans. I used some of the London branches and they've all been fine, even if their range of bikes is predictable (but even that's OK).

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Well it'll take some of the pain of paying £100 for a frontbag (if I get the cheapo ones).

Question for people. Should the block that the bags connect to have come as standard with my bike?

chris folder

Hi:hello:Go on brompton build on there website build a bike with a fixing block and one without see what your bike price matched some come with a fixing block some dont or depends what you payed for bike. Or tell me how much you paid for bike? I will tell you straight away if comes with block

Top Bottom