Brompton - new model in new year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I took mine without the rack and haven't missed it for a second with a front block and easy wheels.

The retro fitting of a rack is apparently not as simple and straightforward as putting a regular rack on a regular bike so my advice would be decide now and commit to the decision.

I've got my Birdy running again & am likely to use it as folder #1. It has a rear rack that looks and works far better than the Brommy one but I am still working out how I could fettle a Brommy front block onto Birdy and go for that as my preferred carrying method.

The front luggage set up is elegant, simple and looks an organic part of the bike when not in use and works very very well both when riding - the damper effect on the front end is noticeable and helpful especially when you're going quickly - also if you do fold the bike and wheel it along you can do so with front luggage in place and let the Brommy carry your bag for you. Not with a rack.

The front luggage option is an absolute key feature IMO of the bigger Brompton appeal and knocks the need for a heavier (& let's be honest) very ugly, homemade looking rack out of the equation.

12boy

Guru
I only have the front block with some different sized bags, and a saddle bag hung off the saddle, in which I carry light and somewhat bulky things such as a light jacket, gloves wallet etc. When it is very windy I appreciate not having a bigger bag on the front block, because of the air drag, but if I need to carry something heavier I also found the steering is improved with the front bag. I stand up all the time climbing hills, especially steep short ones. I find the B feels so much safer than a 700c bike since it is so easy to hop off with your feet on the ground, even with SPDs. Incidentally, I find SPDs almost like another lower gear since I can pull up with one leg while pedaling down with the other. It is much easier and cheaper to convert a 6 speed down to a two or one speed than the other way around. I have both a one speed and a 3 speed rear wheel and with a little practice can switch in half and hour or so, although I have Ergon grips which unlike the Brompton ones can be removed by loosening a bolt. The upgrades I appreciate on mine are: a Velo Orange narrow leather saddle, Ergon grips with little bar ends, and 2 way SPDs, flat one on one side and SPD on the other. BTW, the Ergons do not interfere with the fold.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Tbh I've been trying and I can't think of any reason why I would ever need to carry something that won't fit in either a front bag or a rucksack. I can however believe that in the future I may ride places where the extra gearing could be useful.

I'll be lucky to even use the bike really, as strange as that may sound. There's a reason I haven't ridden one since I learned like 25years ago, I didn't find it fun at all. I'm *hoping* I enjoy it now, later in life and it leads to me wanting to ride, I would not be surprised if it sits in a cupboard and never gets used till I eventually sell it to make space.

As it is I'll probably need adult lessons which is almost embarrassing enough to put me off....

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Well that's all done and dusted.

Went into Evans totally expecting that I would have to order one and wait a good few weeks and low and behold they had one in stock!

I decided against the rear rack in the end. I really wasn't struck on one and then the thought occurred to me that it would add more weight. Plus as I expected, when it came to it making the difference between whether I could take one away there and then it wait...

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
I went for the M6L in the end.

Oh f**king amazing...just gone to properly look at it and the rear tire is flat. Odd I thought seeing as the guy pumped it up before I left the shop. Tried pumping it up and and I can hear it hissing out!

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I went for the M6L in the end.

Oh f**king amazing...just gone to properly look at it and the rear tire is flat. Odd I thought seeing as the guy pumped it up before I left the shop. Tried pumping it up and and I can hear it hissing out!
OH NO!

chris folder

Hi :hello:yep go back and get it looked at. Have you had a ride on it as you mite have went over something that went into tyre. Blackthorn is the worst ever for cyclists

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
I literally wheeled it out the shop folded it up and carried it to the carpark. Then carried it from the car to my flat.

chris folder

Hi:santa:take un straight back They mite have over pumped it up to much air. What colour m6l did you go for?

Last edited:
Top Bottom