Brompton - new model in new year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Hi

Well I was going to go quite "middle of the road" with an M3L. Then I thought about going up a step and getting the R (I think) so I had the rear rack. Then I started reading some reviews and read one in particular that said he found the 3gear a little weak even on a relatively shallow hill. Now my commute, depending on the route I take, can be up a low-medium hill for half the distance so I wonder now whether I should get an M6L/R...
I have an S3L with standard gears but changed the 50T for a 44T. Works fine for hills now. I spin out out at 28-30kmh but I can live with that

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
(honking on a Brompton ias nigh on impossible)
No it's not. It's a piece of cake - far easier than on a full-sized bike with drops.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hi

Well I was going to go quite "middle of the road" with an M3L. Then I thought about going up a step and getting the R (I think) so I had the rear rack. Then I started reading some reviews and read one in particular that said he found the 3gear a little weak even on a relatively shallow hill. Now my commute, depending on the route I take, can be up a low-medium hill for half the distance so I wonder now whether I should get an M6L/R...
I live in Oldham, am 13 stone, have a dodgy knee and don't consider myself particularly fit. I ride my S3L on standard gearing out into the Pennines and never a flat bit routes some steep bits and long draggy inclines and I don't seem to find it that much of an issue. my daily 7 mile commute is nice going downhill to work outside of Manchester centre- the problem here is spinning out in 3rd gear. To home is an almost constant climb with a couple of short mean slopes and I still feel there is more to give from 1st if I needed it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got M type bars with the standard 6 speed gears, a rack with EZ wheels and telescopic seatpost. I don't understand these abbreviations. I guess I have M6-something.

Edit. Brompton model numbers are explained here. I have an M6R.

Anyway, I find the top range 3 speed is all I need on moderately undulating terrain, but the bottom range gives me twiddle-power if I ever encounter a serious hill. I'm sure standing on the pedals is easy once you have the knack, but I find it disconcertingly wobbly, so I stay sitting down.

EZ wheels rock. They have a slight supermarket trolley style life of their own, but great for zooming across station concourses.

Last edited:
No it's not. It's a piece of cake - far easier than on a full-sized bike with drops.
.... must be my technique! Give me drops anytime.
@srw beat me to it!!! It's so easy it's almost instinctive -- especially with an S-type with firm suspension -- the bike is just so zippy and direct. I can't seem to help myself. Was trying to be sedate and dignified this morning but no. Found myself sprinting out of the saddle away from every stop sign/light. With a big silly grin on my face.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@srw beat me to it!!! It's so easy it's almost instinctive -- especially with an S-type with firm suspension -- the bike is just so zippy and direct. I can't seem to help myself. Was trying to be sedate and dignified this morning but no. Found myself sprinting out of the saddle away from every stop sign/light. With a big silly grin on my face.
Ok, I'll practice!

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
The main annoying thing if I go up to the M6 is that Evans don't stock it in R as standard so if have to wait for it to
Be built and delivered (and I assume pay more for or pledge). On the other hand, when handing over a grand for a bike I don't want to scrimp.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The main annoying thing if I go up to the M6 is that Evans don't stock it in R as standard so if have to wait for it to
Be built and delivered (and I assume pay more for or pledge). On the other hand, when handing over a grand for a bike I don't want to scrimp.
No, don't scrimp. Get exactly the one you want even if you had to wait. I waited about 6 weeks for mine.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Since getting a T-Bag for mine I've never used the rack. I'd not pay any extra for it, let alone wait six weeks as well! But it's your bike, spec it how you want it :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
See this is the problem...I think to myself "well, you never know, I might use the rear rack" and then I read so many forum posts and reviews where people say they NEVER use it (many more than people saying they do). Its not even like I'm going to be wheeling it round much either and will want to make use of the eezywheels or whatever it is.

Also I know that I could buy the L-to-R upgrade pack (comes with the rear rack and replacement mudguards) at a later date. So it could be something I could leave off now and then if I do find myself wishing I had a rack at the back, then I could get one. However I don't think that's such a good idea with the gears....if its even possible to upgrade the gear system at a later date without great expense and the benefit of really knowing what you're doing.

I'll definitely be getting the front bag to go with it...I think, when I've been in the shop before, it was suggested that I should get a C bag

Knowing me...incredibly impatient...I'll base my final purchase decision on whatever is the quickest, within reason of course, I wont buy a lime green S1E just because that's the one in stock at my local shop!!

Top Bottom