Brompton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
So some minor updates, apologies for the radio silence but I've been out of the country on business so not a lot has happened :laugh:

The Brompton went in to my LBS 2 weeks ago to have a seatpost sleeve fitted and the rear hinge replaced. I haven't had a chance to pop in to check progress but I did tell them it was a fill-in job and there was no hurry. I think it's fair to say that they were rather taken by the bike, and I've been told they have a potential buyer for it and it will likely sell for between £1500 and £2k :wacko::laugh: I've told them if they get offered anywhere near that to accept immediately, at which point I'll buy a new Brompon and start again :laugh: Apparently the buyer ships them to Korea where there is quite the market for them, or so I'm told :laugh:

The new bars arrived this week, black with slightly lower rise than the standard M-Type bars. They'll suit it really well I think. The shifter is still stuck in China - it was ordered shortly before the Coronavirus outbreak during chinese new year so who know's how fast it will progress now. I'll post updates when its back from the shop and I've fitted the new bars :okay::becool:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Apparently the buyer ships them to Korea where there is quite the market for them, or so I'm told

My local Brompton dealer has a good customer in Singapore for Brompton bags and accessories.

It's cheaper for the Singapore guy to buy the Brommie bits at a small discount from a UK dealer and have them shipped, rather than buy locally.

Typical of Brompton's approach to controlling their market, my local dealer has been questioned by Brompton as to why he's selling five times as many bags as bikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Christ, just think how much more money they could make if they let their sellers actually get on with the business of selling them.

Quite, they are a strange company.

They effectively enforce resale price maintenance, a concept that has been ruled anti-competitive and illegal.

Many people in the bike trade wonder how they get away with it.

There are winners and losers, as always.

The customer pays more for his bike than he would if it was heavily discounted like other brands.

But that also means Bromptons have a much higher resale value than any other bike.

I don't need to take credit for a £1,000 bicycle, but it would make good sense to take a Brompton on Cycle to Work because the tax breaks and the high secondhand value mean I could have the bike for two or three years at very little overall cost.

Some stories of those on high incomes making a small profit on the resale of a Cycle to Work Brompton.

Quite, they are a strange company.
Not half as weird as R**kenbacker...
Their CEO has been known to personally try and sue anyone, anywhere, who sells a 'Rickenfaker', even if they bought it decades ago, or even second-hand. It got so bad that Basschat banned all sales of basses and parts through Basschat Marketplace, real or copies. Just not worth the hassle.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Update! It's been a while :laugh:

I picked the Brompton up today to fit the new bars and Di2 display. First job was connect the display up and see if it works this time :laugh: Great success, the screen sprang to life so I plugged it in to charge and fitted the new bars...

Minor issue - the 31.8mm clamp of the display was never going to fit the 22mm bars :laugh: A quick bit of CAD and 20 mins on the 3d printer and I had a custom spacer fitted to take up the slack :becool:

I'd picked up the seatpost sleeve from the lbs so I glued that in and stuck the post in upside down until the glue had cured... this is the first time its looked like a real bike :laugh:

I then refitted the brake lever and grip to complete the bars and controls, although I'd like to tidy up the cabling at some point...

Still to do - the seatpost sleeve needs reaming to get the proper fit, I'd like to modify the chain tensioner further to suit standard jockey wheels for ease of future maintenance, and the dynamo lights need fitting. Otherwise it's pretty close :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Seatpost sleeve is now reamed out nicely and saddle fitted :okay: It's evengot some cheapo pedals on for the time being courtesy of my lbs 😊

It has stayed with them again, hes going to investigate the rear hub as the freewheel drags enough to cause the chain to sag significantly. I've read some dragis normal on new alfine hubs but neither of us are yet convinced that this one is quite right :laugh: Once I get it back I'm looking forward to actually riding it :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Is that a Brooks Cambium saddle? ( I'm considering a C17 in black to match my Orange and Black Brommie)

Yes it is, and Cambium grips :okay: I actually chose the paint colours to complement the saddle and grips :laugh:

Mine had a small amount of chain drag which seemed to come and go.

It would also occasionally push the chain forward slowly when freewheeling with the pedals stationary.

That's interesting to hear, thanks :okay: We'll have a fiddle and see if we can improve it, I think an oil change is worth a try 🤷‍♂️

Tenkaykev

Guru
Seatpost sleeve is now reamed out nicely and saddle fitted :okay: It's evengot some cheapo pedals on for the time being courtesy of my lbs 😊

View attachment 508264

It has stayed with them again, hes going to investigate the rear hub as the freewheel drags enough to cause the chain to sag significantly. I've read some dragis normal on new alfine hubs but neither of us are yet convinced that this one is quite right :laugh: Once I get it back I'm looking forward to actually riding it :becool:

I was seriously impressed with the amount of kit you have in your garage, then I realised you were in a bike shop.
😁

Top Bottom