Brompton repair shops along the West Coast of Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I'm planning on riding the Wild Atlantic Way and I have two bike options.
The Brompton would be very convenient as I have to fly from and to California as well as from London to Cork and Londonderry to London. But I'm worried about getting repairs if I have a mechanical. I only see the one dealer near Limerick.
The Trek touring bike would be a hassle to fly with and I have to figure out how to handle the bike box. On the other hand, repairs would be easier.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to get a Brompton repaired (say the derailleur broke) while on the West Coast of Ireland? Also, any suggestions on what spares to take on a long, multi-day tour?

Thanks

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
As I said - it only lists one in Limerick. I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any other bike shops that they have found that can handle Brompton repairs.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The challenge with the west coast is that there's few major urban areas. It's also why the area is lovely to visit.

There's decent bike shops in Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Derry/Londonderry. Beyond that you might struggle.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
That's the information I was looking for. Thanks. Do any touring Brompton riders have suggestions for a spare parts list worth carrying? Are there any light, replaceable parts that are likely enough to fail to be worth bringing a spare? And yes - I'm aware that the Chubby trailer could carry an entire new Brompton ^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Take spokes of the right length. Particularly with a load, Brompton spokes do break. It's the poor wheelbuilding - nothing wrong with the components. Or retension and stress relieve the wheels before the trip. Note that stress relieving won't significantly extend the life of a well-used, and already fatigued, set of spokes.

u_i

Über Member
We took our Bromptons into Dublin area. The bikes were generating a sensation in the suburban train network. We did not see other Bromptons during our week in the area, but we saw some Dahons and no-name folders. Even in the UK, I generated a sensation when dropping Brompton into a shopping cart at a Tesco farther away from London. I.e., Bromptons are very much an immediate vicinity to London phenomenon. This, of course, does not tell about the repair availability. Besides, I take my Brompton along to places where dealers are a continent away. Most important for me are hex bits and driver, Knipex pocket pliers, a pump and tube repair kit. The strategy is to be delicate with the bike, be alert to any unusual behavior and periodically check the bike in a critical manner, especially for anything going loose.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Any competent bike shop should be able to repair most things that are likely to go wrong with a Brompton, other than things that need special Brompton tools such as reamers for rear hinge or seatpost sleeve.
They probably wouldn't stock Brompton specific spare parts but should be able to get anything that is generally available, although that might entail a delay.

If you look on CrazyGuyOnABike and the member Tim Tower - he has toured extensively on a Brompton. His journals are very, very useful.
I'm sure if you do a search there you'll find a lot of info about problems and solutions.

Having said all that, it's the west coast of Ireland. In the scheme of things it's not that long a trip. A good going over before you leave is probably all you need.

Good luck!

classic33

Leg End Member
@ExBrit, why was Shannon not considered. There's direct access, via bus to limerick, I've seen tandems carried on these services so bikes shouldn't be a problem. Limerick to Cork by train. Cork airport isn't the best of places for landing in bad weather, often diverting to Shannon or Dublin.

At the top end of Ireland.
McConvey Cycles
www.mcconveycycles.com

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
@ExBrit, why was Shannon not considered. There's direct access, via bus to limerick, I've seen tandems carried on these services so bikes shouldn't be a problem. Limerick to Cork by train. Cork airport isn't the best of places for landing in bad weather, often diverting to Shannon or Dublin.

At the top end of Ireland.
McConvey Cycles
www.mcconveycycles.com
I will be on a schedule so I'm looking for good local bike stores. If I have to take my bike on trains and buses to get to bike stores, I lose cycling days. I'm getting some great input on this thread. Thanks everyone. Keep it coming.

classic33

Leg End Member
I will be on a schedule so I'm looking for good local bike stores. If I have to take my bike on trains and buses to get to bike stores, I lose cycling days. I'm getting some great input on this thread. Thanks everyone. Keep it coming.
I was thinking more of your entry point into Ireland more than anything, given current conditions. And the tests required for both.

Shannon for your entry point. Onwards to cork, the start, by bus & train. Then Londonderry, the finish, to London.

There's two small boxes up near the thread title, brompton & Ireland. Tapping on the Ireland one will bring up a few routes on the west coast. Some of those have shops listed.

Top Bottom