Brompton Time Just Might Be Here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I just logged on to the staff benefits i.e. C2W scheme and it seems to be open, I thought it wouldn't be open until May. So which one will I plumb for. Now I haven't even ridden a Brompton but I've heard and read so much about them from long term members on here I have decided I will get one.

I have just under a year at work before taking early retirement, so it will obviously be easier to get on the ever increasingly busy Southwest trains and then when we move to Spain it can come as luggage and I'll just pay a visit to Malaga Decathlon for N+1 I will be using the Brommie on some hilly routes both around here and where ever we end up, so I need some advice on which one to go for, either 3 or 6 speed and the different handlebars etc. I will have a budget initially around the grand. I will be able to add to that after the initial purchase for accessories.

Any advice greatly received.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Six gears are obviously better than three for hills, but you'll struggle to get that within your £1000 budget.

Bars are very personal – you really need to test-ride to get a feel for for which is most comfortable for you. The S bars look great and give a sporty position, the M give a better view in traffic. I eventually ended up with a compromise myself: S stem and third-party bars with a rise to get something between the two.

Budget later for Brooks saddle and a front bag. If you can spend a lot afterwards, then the SON hub dynamo is a fantastic upgrade.

Sara_H

Guru
It's hilly where we live so I have the six speed - I initially had he standard gearing but have just had it changed for the lower gearing.

I got mine on the bike to work scheme- I had the M6L which was on a special offer directly from the company that run the scheme. I added a rack when I had to have some crash repairs done and have found it very useful.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Thanks Trikeman , I have a nice Brooks saddle on my cx which I won't be bringing with me to Spain so I can swap that as it has been worn in already.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ride to determine which bars you prefer (and make sure you like it).
Six gears definitely a benefit on anything other than flatlands. Higher cost but hard to upgrade.
Go for the reduced gearing option of the 44T chainring again if in hillier terrain - free option.

If the budget is tight I would take the 6 gears and forgo rack and mudguards - these can be added later.

The dynohub is fab (I have the SON) but again is an expensive option unless you do a lot of riding in the dark.

The Standard saddle is peachy.
The Brompton tyres seem fine so far.
The Brompton Tool kit is a good Christmas present
The Brompton luggage is good but chuffin' expensive. A bag frame costs only £20 and can be unfashionably used to tote a variety of saddlebags etc. More info:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brompton-luggage-bodge.177620/#post-3628179
Bromptons will also take Carradice saddlebags etc too and regular rack-packs.
Ergon grips are a necessity on an S-type.

A basic 6 speed with guards, rack or special paint will cost £955 and weigh 11.6kg. For an extra £30 you can choose the main frame color.

If I had to sell all but one of my 8 bikes, the Brompton would be the one I kept, even over the £2200 Custom Rourke ....

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
With the C2W scheme we have to stay within the grand, officially. Some shops allow you to add apparently.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
They're all fine.
I'd avoid raw lacquer as a finish as it seems less tough than paint.
You really need to determine which bars suit you. Take a look at the Brompton site and try before you buy. As I only ride drop bar bikes or flat bars lower than saddle height I couldn't get on with anything other than the low bar S-type. HOWEVER - The S-type is limited in the front luggage you can carry.
The lower gearing option can be done after market for the cost of a £20 chainring.
Rack is great if you can get it in the budget - primarily for pushing the thing around!

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Thanks FF I will definitely try before I buy, cycleworks custom build doesn't show in the link but for around the K I seem to get most of what I need. I will add the dynamo and saddle bag after.

jay clock

Massive member
I have an S3L and love it. I bought it as it came from the shop with standard 50T ring and changed that immediately to a 44T. Steady flat roads in London I am spinning along between 2nd and 3rd gear. First is fine for hills. I like to spin not grind.

After a pu****ure in week 1 I changed the standard Brompton tyres for Schwalbes (even then I had one p* front and rear and have put extra insulating tape round the rim tape which is where the problem occurred.

Personally I chose S bars as I feel even they are quite high. The other bars look totally crap in my view too!

Saddle wise I have a Brooks on my tourer but sticking 100% with the standard one on the Brompton. Very comfortable, lighter, and has a hand grip moulding for lifting the bike

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm going to argue for the 3 speed, North Manchester, Pennine rolling routes with some short sharp shock hills and long drags too, I'm fine on my standard 3 speed & I ain't no superman, if I was to switch number or ratio, I'd be looking for a tad more pace on the flat, as I spin out at speed before I grind to a halt on hills.

I like the S bars for the more regular Hybrid/MTB feel, you are a little more tilted forwards than the other taller bar types. I think the S bars are nicer aesthetically too.

Most stuff can be retro fitted when money allows but if you are thinking about having a rear rack, then spec it from the start, they are apparently a PITA to fit after market, needing new rear mudguard too and not as simple as a couple of Allen bolts into the frame like a regular bike would.

I didn't bother with a rack on mine, I think they look pig ugly for some but not massive utility benefit, A front block and appropriate front luggage when you have the spare £100 or so, IMO is better spent money.

If I had the money I'd have gone for a dynamo system from the off too & if you're planning on a grand spend, you'll be looking at Shimano rather than SON. Other peoples opinion seems to be that the financial difference is worth it. Maybe one to wait for and use decent battery lights and await the funds to SON it rather than switch one dynamo wheel for another?

I've got standard tyres on mine too and haven't got a problem with them, although I am quite attentive to their inflation and cleaning any little bits out of them.

Extendable seatpost?? I'm 5'10-11 and use the standard seatpost at full extension, with the pentaclip as low as it can go in its small range of adjustment.

Forget the pump that comes with the bike, its really not all that, there's many mini pumps out there that will put 100 psi in on the road far quicker and more easily.

Ezy wheels do make a positive difference whether you have a rack or not.

Pedals: I like the standard Brommy ones, I find them plenty grippy whether wearing smooth sole work shoes or adidas samba or trainer type soles.

You mention Decathlon, they do a nice LED light/reflector unit that will replace the Brommy rear reflector and is low profile enough not to catch the ground when folded and wheeled along.

Saddle, entirely up to you, I've just put a well broken in B17 narrow on mine but only cos it was going begging otherwise, the standard new style Brommy saddle is a perfectly comfy and easy riding place to sit. Mine is now on my older work runabout folder.

Edit: One thing I've done recently is switch the foam grips for proper rubber ones, I wish I'd done that on the day I bought the bike. With hindsight, the foam ones are very poor - be aware tho, they are glued on so take care getting them off with a sharp object and of the need to clean the bars before putting other grips on.

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
Good point about the lights. I have a Smart one under the saddle plus the one mentioned above that replaces the reflector and is great as a fit and forget one just in case. See here http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ls-812-t...e+Comparison&gclid=CKzRlPH9j74CFTQQtAodXRIAXw

Re the seat post I am very lucky that fully up is absolutely perfect for me. They now do a special device that allows shorter people to preset the height

Top Bottom