Brompton Time Just Might Be Here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I filled out the online form for c2w last night but I noticed they wanted the signed hard copy returned by today (I need to pay more attention to the company intranet) they will either approve or tell me to catch the next window in Sept ish.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
The paperwork arrived today, so I've signed it and will hand delivered to HR on Fri, ten days later I will have the C2W vouchers to buy........

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The paperwork arrived today, so I've signed it and will hand delivered to HR on Fri, ten days later I will have the C2W vouchers to buy........
Yaaaa hooooo!
Fingers crossed :-)

My employer has just siigned-up to the C2W scheme .... I fancy an S-type single-speed Brompton without guards or rack ...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The S stem is slightly longer but as the bars are flat, they end up being lower than the M bars. I couldn't get on with M bars, a bit flexi and too upright. The butterfly bars I didn't try as they look ugly to my eye. The S bars put you in a riding position like on a standard flat bar mountain bike (but narrower bars).

The front luggage system is a MUCH better option than the ugly heavy rear rack. The S front bag is a reasonable size so unless you are touring and need both front and rear luggage I'd just look to upgrade to front luggage at some point in the future.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was thinking of the S type for the back, it being more upright.
As others have said, the S-type is the lowest bar option. I'm 5'9" with ~32" inside leg and I have the standard seatpost at pretty much full extension and the saddle is just higher than the S-bars. Al my bikes apart from the BSA shopper are this way and I prefer it.
Also, as @T4tomo states the front luggage is great, but the S-type has less options if you want to fit the bigger bags for touring etc. Rear Saddlebags and beam racks work fine.
On the S-type it seems that Ergon Bars with bar-ends are de-rigeur, they certainly help.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ah I just checked, I meant H-type bars.........

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Oh, I thought they were raised more?
S type gives you more of a raked forward MTB style ride than the M,P or H types that are more Dutch bike sit up and beg.

The S is still quite an upright ride, my manky neck copes quite happily & IMO it does feel a bit racier and hunkered down than the others when riding.

Edit

WP_20150409_18_21_48_Pro.jpg

We're awaiting the tram. I'm 5'11 normal length arms and legs, this is my regular riding set up, seatpost fully extended, pentaclip half way & saddle rails at the top of it and I touch the floor with tip toes. As said, dodgy neck but I'm completely comfy on this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ok, I went to the local Brompton supplier today with a few ideas in my head and basically stuck to it and took some advice from the sales guy. I have opted for the H style bars, marathon plus tyres, six speed, guards no rack ( as advised by the guy in the shop) Now if I want the tempest blue, which I think looks cracker, I will have to wait five weeks otherwise I can have it in black off the shelf. So now I am thinking on that one.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I can't really advocate patience as I took mine off the shelf in black there and then, perfectly happy with the black but having already got one, I'll be happier to wait and have a real bright zingy next one. I rather fancy an orange frame & contrasty extremities.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I got my letter of collection but I thought I had to wait on the voucher as previously. Apparently not, I called the hot line at Halfords, told them I wanted to use an lbs in Petersfield, they are on their network, I told them what I was after, next thing I had an email saying it was ordered through that shop. A H6L I need to call in on Monday (working tomorrow) and see what's what or maybe pick it up. ^_^^_^

I blame FF

Top Bottom