Brompton tool options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Has anyone ever actually needed any of those tools they carry with them on a Brompton while away from home?

Genuine question - I can understand taking tools for a multi-day tour, but not for a day ride.

Yep.. luggage blocks spontaneously loosen and that endangers your headlight, also the spanner and tyre levers are invaluable in puncture situations. Folks having issues with a Brompton pump need a Zefal Z-Hose in their lives, being able to pump with the pump head on the floor transforms that pump and the Z-hose gets you a pressure gauge...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They've upgraded it!

[edit]

No they haven't - that's the same pile of poo as used to be supplied with the bike. It's probably still in the garage somewhere. If I get around to it I'll try it out and report back
To come back to this. In 2017 I bought a new Brompton. It came with the same old apology for a pump as before. Last year I got a slow puncture and used the supplied pump as a get-me-home measure. It just about got 30psi into the tyre, after 100 pumps. That was just about tolerable for a 15 minute ride through Hyde Park. I'd have been better taking the tube, even though it would have involved two deep-level lines at rush hour.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yep.. luggage blocks spontaneously loosen and that endangers your headlight, also the spanner and tyre levers are invaluable in puncture situations. Folks having issues with a Brompton pump need a Zefal Z-Hose in their lives, being able to pump with the pump head on the floor transforms that pump and the Z-hose gets you a pressure gauge...
24 years of Bromptoneering and I've never had to tighten the luggage block, and have had so few punctures that any investment in a portable pump would have been a waste if time. Any tool takes up valuable bag space.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have had 2 visits from the fairy and used the standard pump which came with the bike. No idea what the pressure came to but certainly felt hard enough. For tools etc I probably have too many but I am often well away from any help so better to have them. The tools live in a bag behind the saddle which remains on the bike even when folded. In the attached pic. ignore the front bag which carries jacket,food etc.

12boy

Guru
My tool kit with pump, 4, 5, and 6 mm Allens, couple steel tire irons, park patches, a couple zip ties and a screwdriver allows mecto fix quite a few things even when far from home.

12boy

Guru
Gotta have a 15 mm wrench for the axle nuts. Mine is a cut down one with a wooden handle which allows for more pressure without hurting the hand. I see I cdidnt metion it above.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I agree an OTG tool-kit lite is worth having - mine resembles @12boy -
Wasn't sure what the spanner was for @chriscross1966 when you get a puncture on a brommie .....?
Yeah, and when you're in the workshop putting the rear wheel in, use the same spanner... doing it up with a standard length spanner will make it hard to get off with the kit one in an emergency....

Gunk

Guru
Gotta have a 15 mm wrench for the axle nuts. Mine is a cut down one with a wooden handle which allows for more pressure without hurting the hand. I see I cdidnt metion it above.

My 2001 Brompton has 15mm nuts on the rear axle and 13mm on the front, the Brompton tool kit only has a 15mm spanner, I presume later bikes have 15mm front and rear?

12boy

Guru
Tools...Nice to have along just in case. Since I replaced the 10 mm bolts that pinch brake cables with Allens I can do most things on the road that might need a little TLC.

Attachments

• IMG_20190221_100336.jpg
    IMG_20190221_100336.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190221_095202.jpg
    IMG_20190221_095202.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190221_094939.jpg
    IMG_20190221_094939.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom