Brompton tyres sucking the life out of me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The tyres that were supplied with my Brompton are sucking the life out of me. They are Marathon Plus. 16x13/8
So any recommendations as to a better rolling, quicker tyre.
Obviously I will be trading off the puncture protection of the Plus', but dammit, they really are hard work.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
JMTFU!!!
What pressure are you running in them?
Do you have the firm block fitted?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Running them at max 100psi and firm block is fitted

I'm trying to jmtfu I really am.. but it's doing my nut in.

Just relax, and accept that a Brompton isn't a road bike. Even if you had tyres with absolutely zero rolling resistance you'd be going slower than on your blingy titanium job. In the meantime, you're saving a lot of aggregate time because you're not having to mend punctures regularly - which, on a Brompton is a bit of a faff. You'd save a lot more by not cleaning your bike regularly, by the way.

And if you do chuck out the M+s, you know where I am.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just relax, and accept that a Brompton isn't a road bike. Even if you had tyres with absolutely zero rolling resistance you'd be going slower than on your blingy titanium job. In the meantime, you're saving a lot of aggregate time because you're not having to mend punctures regularly - which, on a Brompton is a bit of a faff. You'd save a lot more by not cleaning your bike regularly, by the way.

And if you do chuck out the M+s, you know where I am.

I've been trying to do just that. I know the bike is not what I want to be and to be honest I'm not really enjoying the experience of a Brompton. It's just not doing it for me. So yes, I have been spoilt by my blingy jobs.
I do hear ya about the non puncture aspects, I just didn't expect the tyres to be so hard running.

I must admit, cleaning the Brompton is a breeze. Very quick to wipe over and keep clean.

I'll keep you in mind if I do change the tyres :okay:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
:laugh: like that's going to happen.

Honestly, I am trying... I knows you don't believe me :whistle:

Kell

Veteran
I swapped from Marathon to Marathon plusses over a year ago and I haven't found I've gone any slower.

My average cruising speed on the flat is +/- 18mph.

This is around 3-4 mph slower than my (cheap) road bike in the places where I've ridden them both, but I'd happily trade off that speed for puncture resistance. Not had one puncture since switching. And in actual fact, most of that is probably down to aerodynamics rather than tyres.

The kojaks are faster rolling, but as I commute to work, I really don't fancy having to get the back wheel off at the side of the road.

Jason

I've been trying to do just that. I know the bike is not what I want to be and to be honest I'm not really enjoying the experience of a Brompton. It's just not doing it for me.

This was my biggest reason for not buying a Brompton. The 16" wheels were too much of a compromise, and hence a Dahon with 20" wheels feels more "bike like"

Top Bottom