Brompton used pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Brompton MK1, but unfortunately not original color. In the end there were only 500 of those, so some people are going mad about them. But it's a plain collector's item, useless for everyday usage today and too valueable, too.
But still: 25 Grand is plain phantasy, even if it was in pristine original stake.

tinywheels

Über Member
Brompton MK1, but unfortunately not original color. In the end there were only 500 of those, so some people are going mad about them. But it's a plain collector's item, useless for everyday usage today and too valueable, too.
But still: 25 Grand is plain phantasy, even if it was in pristine original stake.

Google the story,think its been with a brompton dealer for 30 odd years. He has the full history, think he got it off the original owner ,so he has all the provenance on it.
Build was 1981,so it's one of the first.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Google the story
Possibly you could simply provide a link to the story instead of asking other people to google for it...
,think its been with a brompton dealer for 30 odd years. He has the full history, think he got it off the original owner ,so he has all the provenance on it.
Build was 1981,so it's one of the first.
I am not totally savvy regarding the model history of the MK1 but as far as I know the first 50 are even more special as the other ones. But if I remember correctly those were also equipped with a front carrier - however, not sure about that.
The MK1 Bromptons that were sold on ebay over the last years ended up in the range of 5 grand, so a fifth of what the seller wants according to you. And those were all in the original color scheme (red/black). The bikes sold aside of ebay were typically way cheaper. They have no doubt become collectors items in the last 10 years, still 25 grand seems phantasy.

Gunk

Guru
Possibly you could simply provide a link to the story instead of asking other people to google for it...

I am not totally savvy regarding the model history of the MK1 but as far as I know the first 50 are even more special as the other ones. But if I remember correctly those were also equipped with a front carrier - however, not sure about that.
The MK1 Bromptons that were sold on ebay over the last years ended up in the range of 5 grand, so a fifth of what the seller wants according to you. And those were all in the original color scheme (red/black). The bikes sold aside of ebay were typically way cheaper. They have no doubt become collectors items in the last 10 years, still 25 grand seems phantasy.

I followed a mint red Mk 1 last year on fleabay and it made just over £4000

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Same height but I’ve got an 34” approx inside leg. I’ve ridden a Brompton before (indeed I bought one in 2019 and changed my mind before delivery) and thus know I need the longer seat tube :smile: With entrenched knee issues, I’m also very sensitive to saddle height

I have a 34" inside leg and I also have a telescopic seatpost on my Brommy

ExBrit

Über Member
It’s actually fine with the standard

I agree. I have a 34" inside and a standard seat post. It's just about long enough, but another inch would have been nice. The nice thing is I don't have to worry about getting the right length. I just pull it all the way out and I'm good to go.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is the current standard what used to be the "longer" seat post? When I bought mine back in 2005, I think there was standard length, and longer length and then telescopic for bean poles. I have what was the "longer" in titanium (now unobtain-ium) which pulled almost right out was spot on for my 32" inside leg.

tinywheels

Über Member
I followed a mint red Mk 1 last year on fleabay and it made just over £4000

The store selling this one has not regesterd any bids so far. Funny that!
It would be interesting to hear his reasoning as to his valuation, it's a brompton dealer,so he must realise his pricing is nonsense.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The store selling this one has not regesterd any bids so far. Funny that!
It would be interesting to hear his reasoning as to his valuation, it's a brompton dealer,so he must realise his pricing is nonsense.

He says it is Brompton MK1 no 02, the second one ever built. So for some it might indeed be worth more than an "ordinary" MK1. Still 25k+ seems weird. The more as they bikeshop seem to "auction" it on their own webpage w/o any auction-software - they are taking bids via email and those have to be more than 25k: http://www.cyclecareswindon.co.uk/auction.html

With just 3 pictures of the bike this seems a bit of madness - the rather interesting bit is the media coverage they get. W/o it no one would even know that the bike is sold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom