Brooks proofide; is it just expensive dubbin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
With leather treatments there's a lots of money to be made if you use fancy packaging and perhaps add a perfume. Basically they are all blends of mineral oils and waxes, which evaporate slowly and provide waterproofing and suppleness. Waxoyle for cars is the same as Nikwax and when I worked for Ramblers Holidays in the Alps I kept my leather walking boots in good condition all through the season with lard, free from the hotel kitchen so I'm sure that would work just as well for a leather saddle. Just don't tell anybody though.

Drago

Legendary Member
I make my own Waxoyl for cars. Cheap and easy, just like me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I still won't have them on my two classic steel bikes.
Not even if you could get one of these,

DSCN0134.JPG

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is that a DIY cut down job?

Oo, kind of nice. What is it?

Tho its its shininess does rather shame the rust on the bike beneath :smile:

That is one of the 2004 Swallow Limited Edition Titanium, they made 999 of them each with a matching numbered certificate of authenticity. They then went on to 'do' a 2nd run of 999 in black in 2007.

mmcinnis2

No idea about other products, but the proofide will last for years. I do mine 2 or 3 times a year. The best bit is that it is colourless, and doesn't smell. And it buffs up well.

Others have their own favourites. There is another thread somewhere about protdecting your brooks and what is best.

Actually, it has a nice smell.

Top Bottom