Brooks proofide; is it just expensive dubbin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just wondering, as my Brooks saddle is in need of some TLC.. Local shop has Cherry Blossom Dubbin for £1 for a small tin. Proofide - I would have to order on line and is about £8 for a similar sized tin.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
No idea about other products, but the proofide will last for years. I do mine 2 or 3 times a year. The best bit is that it is colourless, and doesn't smell. And it buffs up well.

Others have their own favourites. There is another thread somewhere about protdecting your brooks and what is best.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Ahhh; a quick Google brought me back to this site and a thread from 6 years ago. Looks like there's no definitive answer. Dubbin it is, for the sake of convenience and the fact that "it'll probably do".

I think lots of things will probably do. ^_^ i bought the proofide, because i got it cheaper wheni bought my saddle. Does the job as they say.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Try it out and let us all know in 10+ year's
Well I can report on it's progress so far, after about 7 years.
It has been treated with Brooks Proofide from new, probably 3 or 4 times per year, and has supported my backside for approximately 10k miles.
It looks ok for it's age, but has needed occasional adjusting to take up some sagging. Waterproof it certainly is not.
I doubt if dubbin has any magic ingredient to prolong it's life, but then I doubt if Proofide does either. Both products seem to make similar claims. The saddle is at a stage of it's life where it won't really matter if dubbin destroys it - but I doubt very much that it will.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It has been treated with Brooks Proofide from new, probably 3 or 4 times per year, and has supported my backside for approximately 10k miles.
It looks ok for it's age, but has needed occasional adjusting to take up some sagging. Waterproof it certainly is not.
I doubt if dubbin has any magic ingredient to prolong it's life, but then I doubt if Proofide does either. Both products seem to make similar claims. The saddle is at a stage of it's life where it won't really matter if dubbin destroys it - but I doubt very much that it will.

well i would be tempted to keep on using the proofhide if no issues to date

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Its possible to use proofide too often and cause the leather to soften .You then need to keep tightening the bolt causing premature failure.

I proofide my brooks once a year and on a 7 year old B17 have yet to need to tighten the bolt.

Im fairly certain dubbin would do but as a small tin of proofide will last several years why worry.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think dubbin may soften the leather , which is not what you want. Unlike, say, a horse saddle, the leather has to be self-supporting: springy but not sagging.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I always forget to re-apply proofide. Got a std B17 that must be over 10 years old, been done maybe 3 times & a B17 imp probably about 8 years old & done twice, no issues so far, but I'll try & remember to do them again this week :blush:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Next time it gets wet try backing off the tension nut whilst it dries then 're-tension' it when it is dry, I'd also wrap a toe-strap/luggage strap/zip tie around the middle too (It helps to keep the shape)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Next time it gets wet try backing off the tension nut whilst it dries then 're-tension' it when it is dry, I'd also wrap a toe-strap/luggage strap/zip tie around the middle too (It helps to keep the shape)
This kind of thread and post always makes me laugh. I have a saddle that cost £20 new, has covered over 16,000 miles and is getting on for 7yrs old, has never needed treating or adjusting, doesn't have to be stored in a special way, is comfortable for short rides and epic century+ trips alike and looks like it will probably last as long again. WHY would you even consider the bother of a Brookes over the alternative?

Top Bottom