Brooks saddle users....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have succumbed to the many recommendations of touring cyclists and purchased a Brooks B17 saddle. It definitely looks the part and I found it comfortable from the off. However, I cannot seem to prevent mysely sliding forward on it. I have angled it up slightly, which has helped, but any further and it gets distinctly unpleasant in the boy-bits:ohmy:.

My question to you Brooks enthusiasts is; does the sliding forward problem affect many of you, and if so, does it diminish as the saddle wears in?

I'm happy to persevere with it for now, but constantly pressing against the bars to keep myself back is playing hell with my wrists!

mercurykev

I have all my Brooks saddles tipped up at the front - I find they are more sensitive to fore and aft positioning too. It's this positioning that saves your boy bits. Think of the saddle as a hammock.

I've got mine as horizontal as a spirit level would get it! It's taken about 6+ months to be truly comfortable although the breaking in experience was nothing like some of the horror stories you hear.

I've probably got it set back a little more than its predecessor (Spesh) following some advice at my LBS that has definitely helped, might be worth a try a little at a time.

marxist_fixie

Proper tea is theft [with apologies to Prodhom]
Try Freshtripe...google it...you want a VO seat post with extra layback ideal for Brooks....also check your stem is the correct length...seatpost cost me c£30 plus p&p

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm a Brooks fan and I know what you mean. In the early days they take a bit of fiddling with as the saddle moulds to your shape. They are a bit slippy at first but you'll soon form some dimples and slip around less. Also the saddle looses a bit of shine with time too.
Owning a Brooks is a bit like owning a good LP player, it takes a little bit of attention once in a while, but the benefits are worth it!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
done about 100 miles on mine now, fitted it with nose slightly up, haven't done over 20 miles in one ride, has been comfy so far. Did slip around a bit first few miles, but guess my weight has forced compliance quickly:biggrin:

jimboalee

My B17 has it's nose about 1/4" higher than the tail.

I heared wiping the top surface with white spirit takes the slippiness off it.
I did this, went for a sweaty ride, let it dry and gave it a lick of proofhide.

Now the top surface is definitely dull to look at; and not slippy at all.

Had a job thinking of the right description. "Sticky", but not in a gluey kind of way. No adheshion but I don't move around on the surface. :o)

My Pro is really dull. No shine at all.

tyred

Legendary Member
I had this problem as well but the slipperyness leaves it soon. Still helpful to have it angled up slightly at the front IMO. The B17 is wonderfully comfortable but I have a B66 on an old Raleigh and have struggled to get the angle on it as I would like. The adjustment in the saddle clamp isn't fine enough to get it exactly where I would like it. It's further complicated by the springs compressing and tilting it even more when I sit down.

I also slipped around on mine. Seems to be getting better but like you I tried various nose up positions at first to stop the sliding.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
My experience has been that with the saddle from new, there was not an ideal angle - either you slipped forward or the nose was too high and a bit painful.

However, what happened with use was that the profile of the leather to the back of the saddle dropped down, followed later by dimpling that accommodates your sit bones. The nose has no leeway to drop down and stays at the same height so in effect the angle of the saddle changes a little while it is breaking in. The extreme front and back stay where they are, so its a bit of a hammock effect that increases with use.

I was making regular minor adjustments to the seat angle between around 300 to 800 miles of use. Now I neither slip forward nor have to have the nose too high. It's a really comfy saddle - I did a 100 mile ride recently on my B17 with no ill effects.

John

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've had the same experience. My B17 has now unaccountably done over 1500 miles (how did that happen?) I can't report blissful comfort - I don't get that in any saddle, I think my backside's too bony. But I can report an absence of actual pain or even serious discomfort, which, for me, is good.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rezillo said:
My experience has been that with the saddle from new, there was not an ideal angle - either you slipped forward or the nose was too high and a bit painful.

However, what happened with use was that the profile of the leather to the back of the saddle dropped down, followed later by dimpling that accommodates your sit bones. The nose has no leeway to drop down and stays at the same height so in effect the angle of the saddle changes a little while it is breaking in. The extreme front and back stay where they are, so its a bit of a hammock effect that increases with use.

I was making regular minor adjustments to the seat angle between around 300 to 800 miles of use. Now I neither slip forward nor have to have the nose too high. It's a really comfy saddle - I did a 100 mile ride recently on my B17 with no ill effects.

John
Excellent description.

asterix

Comrade Member
Did a 7.5 hour ride on a 5 year old B17 yesterday. No slippage problems at all. Have just checked with a spirit level and find the nose is a good 2cm lower than the back.

Due to a lack of recent miles on the bike I can't say I was comfortable over such a distance! It was a sunny 27c (I got my cyclists tan back in one afternoon:becool:), the ride was very hilly and my leg muscles were giving up on me towards the end. This morning I feel great!

Top Bottom