Brooks saddles and Giant defy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@DRM the D shaped adapter is how it comes from the factory I'm guessing to allow them to use a standard round post without having to make a special shape one.

maxresdefault.jpg

DRM

Guru
But if the op’s frame is carbon, I wouldn’t be using an adapter, plus I can’t see one on Giants website, my thoughts are that the adapter would have to be long enough to go right down the seat tube to stop the frame flexing, to me that photo shows the clamp.
Would I risk wrecking a £2,500 bike, no chance.

beepbeep

I have a Advanced Defy Pro SL ( think its based on a pro 3 but with carbon bars , saddle with carbon seat rails ) with the D-Fuse seat post and wedge ...- I have had a look at the seat post on mine and cannot figure out how you could fit a''standard'' round seat post into the carbon frame..

As the previous poster stated - is it worth buggering up a carbon frame in order to fit a brooks saddle which isn't designed to fit the seat post..

I would suggest taking the bike down to your local bike shop and asking them to fit you for a saddle -- to try several on the Giant seat post / frame ..etc

good luck with getting it sorted,

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I doubt that Giant ever wanted an adaption of their D seat post or they would have designed the bike with a standard round post. Hence any sort of adaption of this is IMO out of the question. However I would have thought that an adaption of the seat clamp / rail would not upset the dynamics of the bike. I have yet to have a go at making something to increase the size of the rail ensuring stability of the saddle at the same time. Will do so with pics in the next few days. Thanks to those that have suggested trying a different saddles. Done it on numerous occasions but always return to the B17. .. Im not a racer, but comfort distance 'Audax' type rider in my late 60's !!

DRM

Guru
That’s what I suspected that your Brooks is fully broken in to suit you, it would be easier to get a new saddle, but yours works for you, so with that in mind perhaps the suggestion that a spacer made from a pop can may work, or perhaps self adhesive gripper tape stuck to both sides of the the clamp may work, but I think that either solution will be experimental till you could fully trust the modification.

nickAKA

Über Member
2 lengths of 8mm copper tube cut to length of seat clamp (from your friendly local plumbing supplies shop/plumber), saw cut down one side of the length of it, fit over seat rails, clamp up?

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
Thanks again for all your suggestions. I have tried the 'beer can' cut out metal shaped and attached to the rails by araldite but there was still too much flexibility with the saddle rocking back and forward. In desperation I contacted the dealer from where I purchased the bike and to my surprise (and a reply was received within 1 hour) they are able to supply by special order a clamp that takes a 7mm rail. Cost? £12.99 including postage. Thanks Pedal On at Tadley. Result. :smile::smile::smile:.

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
First picture shows the 9mm clamp with the gap between the clamp and the rail, effectively allowing the rail to rock . Second picture shows the y7mm clamp with the rails firmly fixed. Job done.
20181213_102227.jpg
20181226_114909.jpg

Top Bottom