Brooks Saddles - any bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thanks. I was thinkin more of a Swift for one or both as they look a bit more stealthy and unobtrusive than the B17?

They're also a completely different shape. I'm not sure aesthetics is of primary importance. Still, it depends how many miles you ride and how tender your arse is (and what suits it - everyone is different).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Camrider is that not at the risk of finding something better.

Ian H " they're still the most comfortable " was the line I disputed.
Well, in terms of experience I can only speak for myself: ridden Turbos, various Specialized, and others. A well used Brooks Pro beats them all for comfort.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a Brookes B17 narrow on my tourer and it is very, very comfortable, and is now 18 years old. It didn't take 18 years to break it in though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have a Brookes B17 narrow on my tourer and it is very, very comfortable, and is now 18 years old. It didn't take 18 years to break it in though.

I can trump that. My two older ones are both mid-eighties vintage.

Camrider

Camrider is that not at the risk of finding something better.

I don't think so, in my case the priority is comfort and I'm more than happy with the level of comfort my B17 gives me. If thats no longer the case once I try out some audax rides over 200km then I might have a rethink.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Swallow or Swift - can't really tell the difference or if one is more suitable than the other?

simon.r

Person
I've not used a Swallow, but lookin at Brooks' web site I notice it has saddle bag loops (the Swift doesn't). Another edit - my Swifts don't have loops, but it looks as if the current versions do have. Apologies for any confusion!

Re. Titanium vs Chrome, the Ti is a bit lighter, I doubt there's any perceptible difference in ride quality?

Edit - I've just seen how much they are nowadays:eek: I bought mine (Swift Ti) for £50 ish not that many years ago, got to say I think £160 is pushing it a bit!

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Not really bothered about the saddle bag loops Simon but its a pity you cant try before you buy as, as has been said, with saddles what's right for one ain't for another. Lot of money to pay for a mistake though the resale values look reasonable also.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Forgive me because I have the spatial awareness of an apricot but is the Swallow narrower and longer than the Swift or vice versa? I can't tell.

simon.r

Person
[QUOTE 1764059, member: 45"]Nah, they melt at the first sign of a cloud...[/quote]

I did have one go very baggy after a very long, very wet and very muddy MTB ride. IIRC this photo was taken after an earlier ride over the same terrain:

2mwz76p.jpg

It was second hand when I bought it, was used for several years (to beyond the point of usefulness IMO) and I still sold it on ebay for virtually what I paid for it!!

Top Bottom