Brooks Saddles - any bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
Hi all

Well after a winter of hibernation and zero riding the bikes were serviced last weekend and are ready to go. At the end of last year I was struggling a bit with the saddles on both my bikes (Specialized Sirrus Elite and a Scott Sportster).

I have read a lot ot comments about Brooks saddles being a great option if you give them enough time and use them regularly but am not sure whether they are typically for road bikes or would they be appropriate for a hybrid or something like the Sirrus?

Thanks - it's good to be back (in the saddle) :thumbsup:

I had a similar dilema last year and opted for a Brooks b17...i have a Touring bike so it looks the part on it...It was comfy straight out of the box..Wish i'd bought one years ago ^_^

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Mine's a late 70's Brooks Competition. Had it on my bikes for the last 30 years so fits my rear just about right, here (the one on the bike). When ever I get my next bike I'd definitely go for another Brooks. Some bargains can be found on ebay (3 1/2 days left on this one).

Bluenite

Brooks saddles are made in hell, from kittens tears and whimpering puppies ...........:eek:

Ok, maybe not the Kitten and puppies bit (not that i can prove) but Satan has to have a hand in it somewhere:evil: :evil:

KateK

Hmm or maybe Brooks mens' saddles are comfier than womens? Just wondered..thinking about a new saddle but maybe just move the old one over...it all seems SO controversial.

Psyclist

Über Member
With any of these saddles, padded undershorts or chamois.

Personally on your Sirrus or other bike I'd go for a Charge Spoon, not only saving you silly money for a Brooks saddle, but having a saddle which is jsut as comfortable.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I have a B17 narrow on my tourer, and one on my Claud Butler roadbike that I use as my audax machine.
Mr Paul, is Wilf Lunn the professor bloke from vision on?
Jayonabike, how do you find the Dawes Century? I like the look of it and might get one when i've got the cash!!

runner

Guru
Brooks saddles are the comfiest saddle that I have tried, I bought 1, a B17narrow, liked it so much i bought another 3. And as to putting them on modern looking bikes or hybrids, I think they look fine. Mine are on 2 classic looking bikes & 2 modern, plus when your out on the bike your arse is on the saddle anyway. Heres mine:-

View attachment 7812 View attachment 7813 View attachment 7814 View attachment 7815
jayonabike...is that a tubus vega rack on the back of your boardman? and if so what do you think? easy to fit?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I took the B17N off my MTB (and subsequently sold it to MacB.) It looked as incongruous as a small pterodactyl perched atop a Kindle. Worked fine though.

You'd think MacB would be more the B17W type :whistle:

runner

Guru
Yes it is a vega, it was no problem to fit and it holds 2 panniers full of stuff with ease
silly question but I do few bike repairs but it would seem quite simple to fit a quality rack such as the vega...I only have one mounting hole on each side of the bike..pic below
bike.jpg

so i presume the rack will share the same hole as the mudguard..and will go on top?
thanks for the advice :smile: and upon your reply will order a vega this evening...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
stay over rack with a spacer in between is the best practice order of things according to Messrs Tubus and co.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Standard B17 on my hybrid and a narrow version on my fixie,both super comfy.....i rode 400 miles to Cornwall without padded arse on the hybrid with no problems,just a great seat !
Mountain bike might get the Brookes treatment when pennies allow :ohmy:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I have taken delivery (30 mins ago :hyper:) of the Spa Cycles version of the Brooks saddle. Seems pretty much the same but a whole lot cheaper ... :thumbsup:

I'm impressed thus far - comes in a nice wee bag, with care instructions, Alan key and spanner (for the locknut) and a non-shiny (= less slippery ?) surface. Ordered at 1815 on Wed, delivered Friday 0830. :bravo:

Looking forward to giving it a ride. :bicycle:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have taken delivery (30 mins ago :hyper:) of the Spa Cycles version of the Brooks saddle. Seems pretty much the same but a whole lot cheaper ... :thumbsup:

I'm impressed thus far - comes in a nice wee bag, with care instructions, Alan key and spanner (for the locknut) and a non-shiny (= less slippery ?) surface. Ordered at 1815 on Wed, delivered Friday 0830. :bravo:

Looking forward to giving it a ride. :bicycle:

looks good and I am tempted by that ,only concern is the weight 629 grams seems a bit hefty to me.

Top Bottom