Bruce Lee "Enter the Dragon"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
as a 10 year old in 1973 Kung Fu films were all the rage,of course i would have never been able to get into see an X rated film (thats what they used to be rated for you youngsters) and as there were no Video's/DVD's there was no chance of seeing Enter the Dragon.my older brother managed to get in and told me all about it.it was on TV last night and it is hasn't aged well!!!!i was desparate to see this movie as a kid,along with the Exorcist.I remember trying to get into see Rollerball which was a AA rated film and i crumbled when i was asked my age (had to be 14 i think)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Are you nuts? It's a great film, and always will be.

007fair

I DID get into see it (enter the Dragon) when about 14 using my friends Aunts Cinema card. She found out and we were asked to leave after 15 minutes of the show!
I saw bits of it last night but I couldn't really muster much enthusiasm Seems tame for an 'X'

Night Train

Maker of Things
Seems tame for an 'X'
I think it isn't but modern film clasification allows considerably more sex, violence, horror and offensive language then used to be acceptable. Society changes and moves onwards, though not always upwards.

I think Enter The Dragon is really only aged in its filming style. If it were remade it could be a better made film but it would probably be ruined with extreme violence, extreme language, gross tourture scenes, sex, actual drug taking and a hero built like The Terminator!

As a child I saw quite a few Chinese Kung Fu films that would have been x rated for violence. The Chinese Cultural Centre in London's China Town was showing Chinese films to Chinese families quite often.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been trying to get hold of the full uncut version of ETD... but even the 'full uncut' version I picked up a few years back was still cut... lacking the psychedelic hands scene :sad:

I guess it's ok to watch people getting whacked around the skull with nunchucks but not to see bruce through a trippy lens.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Enter the Dragon was the first DVD I owned, it was a present - in fact I had to buy a DVD player in order to watch it!

007fair

I think it isn't but modern film clasification allows considerably more sex, violence, horror and offensive language then used to be acceptable. Society changes and moves onwards, though not always upwards.

I think Enter The Dragon is really only aged in its filming style. If it were remade it could be a better made film but it would probably be ruined with extreme violence, extreme language, gross tourture scenes, sex, actual drug taking and a hero built like The Terminator!

As a child I saw quite a few Chinese Kung Fu films that would have been x rated for violence. The Chinese Cultural Centre in London's China Town was showing Chinese films to Chinese families quite often.

Now this rings a bell Was there not some chinese TV series where the badies often got their guts cut right off (Monkey? is that the one..)

Night Train

Maker of Things
Monkey was more comedic I think, The Water Margin was a bit more active.

I remember one film I saw as a kid where a couple of brothers were busking doing simple kung fu demonstrations to entertain the villagers. A thuggish gang appeared and challenged them to a match. One of the brother's had his arm hacked off in full gory detail. That image stills burns in my mind as being gory despite seeing worse in later films.

It shows the impact that X rated films can have on a very young mind.

Monkey was a chinese series shown on BBC2 at 6pm if I remember rightly, based on a buddhist epic novel written in 1190 or sometime. Never understood it, but it was great!

What's amused me is how the trends in censorship have moved. Films being resubmitted and cut to different shapes over and over. A couple of years ago beheading people was ok, but a horse falling over had to be cut out (Conan the Barbarian anniversary edition).

Have seen some Bruce Lee, but was more of a Jackie Chan or Chuck Norris fan myself.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I only watched a few minutes of it the other night. Yes, the acting, plot and dialogue are terrible, but Bruce Lee's incredible physique and technique are still stunning!

My younger sister's then boyfriend was very flabby when he went to see Enter the Dragon but when he came back from the cinema he declared that he was going to get fit. I didn't think he would follow it up, but he did. He ran 5 or 6 miles a night and started doing a lot of stretching and strength exercises. He transformed himself within a year. Unfortunately he lost the plot after that and went back to boozing with his mates and that was that!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Oh yes...I grew up on a diet of this stuff when I was a little nipper...it was inevitable really, a Chinese family with several older brothers...

Once upon a time in China, Hard Boiled, Several Jackie Chan films (like Project A etc, Drunken Master - I may be misremembering or mistranslating the names), Bruce Lee films etc- one of my brothers was a brilliant at Wing Chun Fung Fu in the 80's..not that you'd know it these days!!

Of course, when you look at the plot at times terrible and this stereotype of white foreign bad guys in some of the films...still I think they were good for the time. For a long while watching Western or US films - the fight scenes and choreography was ultra slow, dull and unconvincing until the last 10/15 years - thankfully they improved this but I love a good Kung Fu film!

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
i always wanted a pair of those black Kung Fu slippers !!!my neighbour made a pair of Nunchaks (sp??) from an old broom stick sawn in two and a bit of chain that they used to flush the bog !!!!

Top Bottom