BRVR - Goats League - Climb 16 - Matter Valley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Right, now I know what to do, some Haribo and a cherry then I'm good for 400w for just over an hour. Look out turbo!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122
Nah, that's his post-ride recovery.

For fuelling up beforehand, and then during the ride, you need this:

Froome food.jpg

For those who haven't read the whole thing, the "4 x Plain" is rice cakes and "Rocket" is a special high-carb drink.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Nah, that's his post-ride recovery.

For fuelling up beforehand, and then during the ride, you need this:

View attachment 417671
For those who haven't read the whole thing, the "4 x Plain" is rice cakes and "Rocket" is a special high-carb drink.
Damn you Asa, I was hoping to get away with it. I'm not sure I'd be able to manage the feast he shovels down beforehand :whistle: I mean there's a severe lack of cream cakes and lager for a start.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Damn you Asa, I was hoping to get away with it. I'm not sure I'd be able to manage the feast he shovels down beforehand :whistle: I mean there's a severe lack of cream cakes and lager for a start.
The photos of his meals certainly don't make them look appetising. After a couple of days of eating that, the only place I'd be cycling to is a takeaway.

SmP-62

Aleman, please write my 'one leg challenge' time in the spreadsheet.

I will do it also with both legs sometime later ... no time for that now, because I will fly to Denver in 2 weeks and I'm busy with Colorado rides (also Death Valley and Yosemite, which are on my way from CO to San Francisco).

Today ride: Mount Evans

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Comment of my unlimited Furka ride ...
Thanks Aleman for the challenge ...:thumbsup: ... 1:19:54 ... with only one pedal ... special interval training ... 2 minutes each leg ... the other leg off the pedal ... one leg sprint on the end ... :biggrin:

https://bigringvr.com/activity.aspx?rideID=44356
Aleman, please write my 'one leg challenge' time in the spreadsheet.

I will do it also with both legs sometime later ... no time for that now, because I will fly to Denver in 2 weeks and I'm busy with Colorado rides (also Death Valley and Yosemite, which are on my way from CO to San Francisco).

Today ride: Mount Evans
Sorry, for some reason I thought that time was for Furka, Now added. ... Something to go for perhaps :rofl:

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
I will do it also with both legs sometime later ...no
No being the operative word there. From now on ALL your rides are to be completed one legged. Don't care which one, but I think it's the only way the rest of us will stand a chance. To be fair though I'll complete all my rides one handed:laugh:

Only kidding of course, enjoy your trip to Denver and send us a postcard:tongue:

SmP-62

Not my type of 'climb' ... 49:00

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Oki doki, tick this one off the list for me please.
Oddly I'm finding I'm not so much a fan of the flatter rides now, I think it's because you seem to have to work so much harder to keep the power up and you don't seem to go as fast on the parts that you think you should be going fast on, I dunno, maybe it's just me. Either way, 1:06:39, beat that @Aleman :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Oki doki, tick this one off the list for me please.
Oddly I'm finding I'm not so much a fan of the flatter rides now, I think it's because you seem to have to work so much harder to keep the power up and you don't seem to go as fast on the parts that you think you should be going fast on
There is a way to resolve that but it would be awfully bad form to use it in a competitive environment :whistle: All you would need to do would be to engage Erg mode at a suitable power level when you came to a flat bit, That would force you to maintain say 235W on a 2% gradient as well as on the 9% gradients. ... Of course if the gradient ramped up you would have to remember to disengage Erg mode.

Awfully, Awfully bad form though!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There is a way to resolve that but it would be awfully bad form to use it in a competitive environment :whistle: All you would need to do would be to engage Erg mode at a suitable power level when you came to a flat bit, That would force you to maintain say 235W on a 2% gradient as well as on the 9% gradients. ... Of course if the gradient ramped up you would have to remember to disengage Erg mode.

Awfully, Awfully bad form though!
I wasn't really sure what the ERG did/was for. I accidentally knocked it on while I was fiddling with views or something last night, thought "What the fark!" and turned it off again. Now I understand what it actually does (thank you), I'm not sure I'll use it. It's use could be a little naughty too. Rather like lying about your weight, so you come back with some monster of an W/Kg and all the KOMs.
I'm of the opinion that with smart trainers the competition first and foremost is against yourself, because you don't know what anybody else is doing (not that anybody in our league would stoop so low of course) or what they're using and the leagues and strava are more of a motivational tool, I don't want to be umpteen weeks behind and with people like @theboxers plugging away, knowing that they're going to be there for 2-2.5hrs, boxers I mean this sincerely, you are an inspiration my friend.
I will hold my hands up and tell you about a possible cheat I've done very recently, I pumped my tyre back up, hadn't checked it for months and it was about 30psi :whistle:

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

I'll admit that I do use Erg mode :eek: but only for recovery rides and light zone 2 spinning. I did the Bad water ride yesterday, as I wanted a gentle spin. As a cadence drill (90 rpm) it was hard work, but effort wise nothing at all with it set to 125W. I'll also use it for interval training .. so have it at 125W as a base but then take it up to 230W for five minutes drop to base for 10 then repeat, keep going for as long as the video lasts. Having decent scenery is more motivational than trainer road or sufferfest!

I agree @theboxers is inspirational chapeau young man :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Top Bottom