Budget cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Look at what taxi drivers are using. They tend to be the reliable vehicle. But don't buy an ex taxi vehicle.

Round here it's all Toyota Prius/Corolla Hybrids and Lexus Hybrids, driven by the ULEZ areas, or threat of putting in a ULEZ, prior to that various Skoda models were the favourite choice, but killed off by the above, way back it was all Datsun Bluebird 180B's, one local Private Hire firm had Ford Cortina's, one immaculate one that was MOT'd once a month, then a fleet of others that never saw the inside of a garage, the benefit of your fleet of cars all being the same colour.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep. My point was that at that end of the market any car could be a lemon or a bargain, regardless of brand or type.

Whilst that's true, you can improve your chances by looking at models that have known longevity....

CXRAndy

Guru
Round here it's all Toyota Prius/Corolla Hybrids and Lexus Hybrids, driven by the ULEZ areas, or threat of putting in a ULEZ, prior to that various Skoda models were the favourite choice, but killed off by the above, way back it was all Datsun Bluebird 180B's, one local Private Hire firm had Ford Cortina's, one immaculate one that was MOT'd once a month, then a fleet of others that never saw the inside of a garage, the benefit of your fleet of cars all being the same colour.

Toyota Corolla was a really popular private taxi vehicle. Nissan Almera too, that never sold well but was a spacious reliable vehicle

Gunk

Guru
I have just bought a 2016 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo for my two kids to drive, not really a budget car, but for a basic low powered runaround, I can‘t believe how good it is to drive, much more refined than our previous R56 Minis.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I have just bought a 2016 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo for my two kids to drive, not really a budget car, but for a basic low powered runaround, I can‘t believe how good it is to drive, much more refined than our previous R56 Minis.

That's supprising as the r56 is more refined than the r50.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Tell me about esp on runflats so I put cheap 205 65 r15 and they transformed it! 01 cooper.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
our dacia has been the best car we have ever had, mrs ck cousin works at the showroom , starting years after we bought it and he says the same.

Ours have all been superb. They're all based on proven engines and componentry from the Renault parts bin. As I've said before, from the summer heat of Egypt to the -20C Russian winters, Dacia Taxis abound (taxis need to be cheap to run, reliable and with long-service lives).
Our VW Camper got written off 6 weeks ago and the hire car we've been given is a Dacia Jogger. It's great! Very spacious, very well designed/laid-out, nice enough to drive, quiet, good fuel economy and performance from a miniscule motor. One can criticise some of the cheaper feeling materials used in its interior, but it's a cracking family wagon. I'd certainly spend my own shekels on one.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
our dacia has been the best car we have ever had, mrs ck cousin works at the showroom , starting years after we bought it and he says the same.

My folks have had zero issues in their car. They have the top of the range Stepway - just enough in it without being complicated and no silly 'bad driver' aids.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although the very first Dacia I looked at was full of water! :laugh:

The second one wasnt a lot better. That didn't scare me off though, it didn't stop me ordering a new one (duly cancelled as my cash ended up being spent on a new house and I refuse to take out finance.)

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran

Only 4 seats 5 would be better with the kids etc.

Top Bottom