Budget cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Check the Citigo has the rear arch liners fitted. They weren't fitted as standard until fairly late on, although a lot of sensible owners bought them from the dealer and DIY fitted them. Without them the crud gets flung up into the inside of the outer panel and they rust badly around the fuel filler.

Gunk

Guru
Check the Citigo has the rear arch liners fitted. They weren't fitted as standard until fairly late on, although a lot of sensible owners bought them from the dealer and DIY fitted them. Without them the crud gets flung up into the inside of the outer panel and they rust badly around the fuel filler.

Thanks, I will check

gbb

Legendary Member
I watch a lot of YouTube channels, get more I formation and pleasure out of them than I do tv...but there seems to be a correction starting with car prices at auctions. Luxury vehicles may be bombing, mid range have taken a knock, so far budget prices have stayed easonably buoyant but if it all continues, they will drop too.
Tbf, wrong time of the year, they usually drop off in December, but this has apparently started in October, much earlier than usual.
Time will tell....

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Car prices went up strongly post-Covid due to parts shortages hitting manufacturing. I'm guessing we're seeing the start of an expected price correction now supply is mostly resolved.

I hope so as SWMBO wants a newer car next year.

johnblack

Über Member
Prices for under 4 year old small cars are going to stay high (although they've peaked) for a bit yet as there is a lack of supply, due to the small numbers of new cars in the market 2020-23 brought on by Covid and semi-conductor issues. I'm lucky that I get access at wholesale prices and you can see the drop in the higher end of the market but at the "budget" end demand is outstripping supply.

Drago

Legendary Member
Virtually no one is making a small car any more, and none of them cheap. PCP has killed off the need for small, compact, economical, minimally polluting vehicles that people actually  buy with either money or a straightforward loan, so no ine is bothering. That seems a real shame to me.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Prices for under 4 year old small cars are going to stay high (although they've peaked) for a bit yet as there is a lack of supply, due to the small numbers of new cars in the market 2020-23 brought on by Covid and semi-conductor issues. I'm lucky that I get access at wholesale prices and you can see the drop in the higher end of the market but at the "budget" end demand is outstripping supply.

Probably a bit different for EV's as prices had tanked for under 4 year old cars. Friend picked up a 3 year old 208 leccy for £15k, new about £35k.

I reccon we'd still be able to sell the cheap Aygo for at least what we paid for it two years ago.

Alex321

Veteran
Virtually no one is making a small car any more, and none of them cheap. PCP has killed off the need for small, compact, economical, minimally polluting vehicles that people actually  buy with either money or a straightforward load, so no ine is bothering. That seems a real shame to me.

That is "virtually no one" apart from most of the major car manufacturers.

The Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, Nissan Micra, Fiat 500. All small cars, still being manufactured and sold. There are others, made by a variety of manufacturers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Other small new cars...Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza, VW Polo, Peugeot 208, Renault Clio, Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10, VW Up, Smart, Citroen C1, ...probably more too!
Clearly the OPs 1k budget isn't going to buy a new car, it never was, well maybe in the 1970s!

Drago

Legendary Member
C1 hasn't been made for a few years, the Up is about to be deleted from the range and many trim and engine options have already gone in readiness of this, and its been a long time since they were cheap. The old Smart 452 has been out of production a while, the new Chinese built model is B segment and not easy to obtain at present.

Picanto is A segment but very elderly now, as is the i10, and refreshed styling and newer engines aren't hiding their age. That wouldn't be so bad, but they're no longer cheap and were never top drawer to begin with.

The rest are B segment cars, not actually that small - the polo is bigger and heavier than a mk1 Golf!

Very few genuinely small A segment cars left, and those that are are either not cheap or a long way from cutting edge. 15 years ago nearly every manufacturer sold them and they were everywhere. I loved them, and mourn their passing.

Just look at the grief I had trying to find a small estate. No one buys them any more they've all fallen for the "SUV" on PCP gag.

Alex321

Veteran
C1 hasn't been made for a few years, the Up is about to be deleted from the range and many trim and engine options have already gone in readiness of this, and its been a long time since they were cheap. The old Smart 452 has been out of production a while, the new Chinese built model is B segment and not easy to obtain at present.

Picanto is A segment but very elderly now, as is the i10, and refreshed styling and newer engines aren't hiding their age. That wouldn't be so bad, but they're no longer cheap and were never top drawer to begin with.

The rest are B segment cars, not actually that small - the polo is bigger and heavier than a mk1 Golf!

Very few genuinely small A segment cars left, and those that are are either not cheap or a long way from cutting edge. 15 years ago nearly every manufacturer sold them and they were everywhere. I loved them, and mourn their passing.

Just look at the grief I had trying to find a small estate. No one buys them any more they've all fallen for the "SUV" on PCP gag.

I think most of us would class segment B cars as small, segment A as tiny :smile:

And yes, a current polo may be bigger than the original Golf, but a lkarge part of the reason for that is that it will also be much safer in a crash.

Of the ones I listed, the fiat 500 is definitely A segment and still being made.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed Miss V, they indeed are small compared to some of the tanks that plough the roads today, but compared to actual small cars...

No issue with the Fabia estate but it is a touch bigger - not to mention needlessly expensive used - than I needed and pound for pound about 30% more expensive for no tangible benefit. space for two adults, one child, and a mid sized dog is all I need - a single inch more is just wasted fuel to lug about.

In the end I settled for the imperfect choice of a 2008 - about 4" shorter before you ask - as being large enough but not an inch more, and grumble incessantly to myself about its supposed SUVness. Two inches lower would make it nicer to drive and I wouldn't feel like a low calorie Ranlulph Fiennes wannabe on an expedition to the tofu shop, but it sadly is what it is. Something akin to the old 206 SW would have made me weep tears of sensible, carpet slippered joy.

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
Probably a bit different for EV's as prices had tanked for under 4 year old cars. Friend picked up a 3 year old 208 leccy for £15k, new about £35k.

I reccon we'd still be able to sell the cheap Aygo for at least what we paid for it two years ago.

The 6 year old Aygo my eldest drives is still about 1.5k above where I bought it 3 years ago.

BEV's are in a terrible state, the losses lease companies are having to soak up on disposal are huge. There are bargains to be had, but a lot of this will be offset by the increasing insurance and maintenance cost that BEV's will incur.

Top Bottom