Budget cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
The 6 year old Aygo my eldest drives is still about 1.5k above where I bought it 3 years ago.

BEV's are in a terrible state, the losses lease companies are having to soak up on disposal are huge. There are bargains to be had, but a lot of this will be offset by the increasing insurance and maintenance cost that BEV's will incur.

Why do you believe insurance or maintenance are likely to be higher?

Insurance shouldn't really be much different, the risks are very similar - maybe a little higher because repair costs may be more.

Maintenance should be significantly lower, with far fewer moving parts to wear.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you believe insurance or maintenance are likely to be higher?

Insurance shouldn't really be much different, the risks are very similar - maybe a little higher because repair costs may be more.

Maintenance should be significantly lower, with far fewer moving parts to wear.

EV insurance costs have skyrocketed, down to repairs (especially for Tesla I believe because of how the panels are made/put together) and if there's any risk of any damage to the battery, vehicle can be written off when a non EV might go back on the road. Also, less companies insuring so less competitive pricing
Repair costs high due to lack of trained techs at the moment

Lots of articles in t'interweb eg https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/361588/why-electric-car-insurance-so-expensive-ev-vs-ice-cost-analysis#:~:text=According to experts, this is,with EVs,” she said.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...c-vehicle-owners-face-soaring-insurance-costs
https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwi...ts-could-cripple-european-electric-car-sales/

Drago

Legendary Member
They say its soared, yet Mrs D's went down by a few shekels vote renewal time.

I don't think any increases are for the reasons they cite, but rather for the way insurers manage claims. For example, when someone drove into Mrs Ds car a few weeks ago her insurers handed the whole case to Enterprise Incident management, and all they care about is doing the job as cheaply as possible with a non BMW approved repairerer (we quickly told them not on your nelly) and to spank the at-fault drivers insure for a loan car which, coincidentally, is through the Enterprise hire car division. That kind of bollards is why prices are going up as everyone looks to shift everyone else, but they'll never admit it.

Having quickly taken legal advice via the RAC, two interesting points occur - we are entitled to restored to the position we enjoyed prior to the collision, and that includes the BMW warranty being maintained by only using a BMW approved repairer, and secondly, we can legally insist the insurer deals with the claim and repair themselves and not bat it off to a claims management company. Sheila's Wheels were overjoyed when we gave them the good new :laugh:

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
They say its soared, yet Mrs D's went down by a few shekels vote renewal time.

I don't think any increases are for the reasons they cite, but rather for the way insurers manage claims. For example, when someone drove into Mrs Ds car a few weeks ago her insurers handed the whole case to Enterprise Incident management, and all they care about is doing the job as cheaply as possible with a non BMW approved repairerer (we quickly told them not on your nelly) and to spank the at-fault drivers insure for a loan car which, coincidentally, is through the Enterprise hire car division. That kind of bollards is why prices are going up as everyone looks to shift everyone else, but they'll never admit it.

Having quickly taken legal advice via the RAC, two interesting points occur - we are entitled to restored to the position we enjoyed prior to the collision, and that includes the BMW warranty being maintained by only using a BMW approved repairer, and secondly, we can legally insist the insurer deals with the claim and repair themselves and not bat it off to a claims management company. Sheila's Wheels were overjoyed when we gave them the good new :laugh:

Isn't it illegal for manufacturers to have "approved repairers" and void the warranty if those are not used nowadays?

Drago

Legendary Member
Body work repairs are different, because they are not simply maintenance but are actual, er, repairs, that require physical repair, addition of materials, and so on. You'll find that if you have an independent garage, say, repair your steering column then the manufacturer will tell you to foxtrot Oscar if you later want a warranty repair on the same components.

It's only servicing, routine maintenance, to which that applies,.

The 12 year BMW paint warranty is far in excess of the lawful requirement, and they can insist the only people working on it smear themselves in guano and wear a top hat and a feather up their arse if they so choose.

I don't want the scenario where someone works on it and a paint defect arises next year and I get the middle finger because a non approved repairer has had an unqualified sprayer to add paint of unknown make and composition etc to the car. That car cost me nearly 40 large of my own hard earned, not some poncey PCP, and I want it exactly as it was before, both physically, and terms of its full dealer history, and it turns out I can lawfully insist upon it.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Body work repairs are different, because they are not simply maintenance but are actual, er, repairs, that require physical repair, addition of materials, and so on. You'll find that if you have an independent garage, say, repair your steering column then the manufacturer will tell you to foxtrot Oscar if you later want a warranty repair on the same components.

It's only servicing, routine maintenance, to which that applies,.

The 12 year BMW paint warranty is far in excess of the lawful requirement, and they can insist the only people working on it smear themselves in guano and wear a top hat and a feather up their arse if they so choose.

I don't want the scenario where someone works on it and a paint defect arises next year and I get the middle finger because a non approved repairer has had an unqualified sprayer to add paint of unknown make and composition etc to the car. That car cost me nearly 40 large of my own hard earned, not some poncey PCP, and I want it exactly as it was before, both physically, and in terms of the only people ever touching it being BMW approved, and it turns out I can lawfully insist upon it.

I have no issue with you insisting on tat, nor with you being allowed to do so.

I just think that BMW are not allowed by law to invalidate warranties because somebody other than their approved garage worked on it.

mustang1

Guru
The 6 year old Aygo my eldest drives is still about 1.5k above where I bought it 3 years ago.

BEV's are in a terrible state, the losses lease companies are having to soak up on disposal are huge. There are bargains to be had, but a lot of this will be offset by the increasing insurance and maintenance cost that BEV's will incur.

Mmmh, I am not aware of BEVs being in a terrible state? And service costs on an EV is supposed to be a lot lower than ice cars (supposed to be, but dealers will be stealers). Teslas are virtually zero service cost though.

And the insurance on my EV is lower than my ice daily.

mustang1

Guru
EV insurance costs have skyrocketed, down to repairs (especially for Tesla I believe because of how the panels are made/put together) and if there's any risk of any damage to the battery, vehicle can be written off when a non EV might go back on the road. Also, less companies insuring so less competitive pricing

Lots of articles in t'interweb eg https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/361588/why-electric-car-insurance-so-expensive-ev-vs-ice-cost-analysis#:~:text=According to experts, this is,with EVs,” she said.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...c-vehicle-owners-face-soaring-insurance-costs
https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwi...ts-could-cripple-european-electric-car-sales/

Can't wait for Tesla to bring our their own insurance to the UK.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mmmh, I am not aware of BEVs being in a terrible state? And service costs on an EV is supposed to be a lot lower than ice cars (supposed to be, but dealers will be stealers). Teslas are virtually zero service cost though.

And the insurance on my EV is lower than my ice daily.

Are they the same car, used and parked up in the same way, loads of variables? A daily driver doing high miles will typically cost more to insure due to the higher level of risk with being used more

DRM

Guru

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12394731/crashed-tesla-ukraine.html
Meanwhile written off U.S Teslas are being shipped to Ukraine & repaired, while American insurers are writing them off as total losses, and we wonder why E.V insurance costs are sky rocketing

mustang1

Guru
Are they the same car, used and parked up in the same way, loads of variables? A daily driver doing high miles will typically cost more to insure due to the higher level of risk with being used more

Yes that does make sense what you say. But I was just going with my own experience having moved from ice to ev, the insurance cost went down and yes, it was a surprise for me as I was very much expecting it to go up. Maybe they just enticed me and will pop it up during my renewal.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes that does make sense what you say. But I was just going with my own experience having moved from ice to ev, the insurance cost went down and yes, it was a surprise for me as I was very much expecting it to go up. Maybe they just enticed me and will pop it up during my renewal.

What is the ICE car and the EV?
See what happens on renewal of the EV..,

Top Bottom