Building the Dream Bike. An 80s Peugeot/Campagnolo Eroica restoration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sticky Green

Way back on Christmas day 1984, a young lad on a council estate in Barnsley was presented with a shiny red Peugeot road bike that his mam had bought from a pay weekly catalogue. The bike was basic with Carbolite 103 tubing, steel rims, seat post, and various cheap parts. BUT, with it's modern lugless frame and beautiful red paint he loved that bike.

The bike was ridden and probably polished daily. I think being relatively poor I really appreciated what I had been given. However, like all bike owners do at some point, I dreamt of what my shiny red bike would be like with one of those out of reach Campagnolo Groupsets.

37 years on and that boy is about to realise that dream. Some will think me silly for putting expensive vintage Campagnolo parts on a old 103 Carbolite Peugeot frame, but a dream is a dream. I've found a period correct Peugeot Premiere to use as a build base. It's the wrong colour, but that will be sorted along the way with the right paint and decals.

I will try to record the restoration as it unfolds.

Here is the bike as bought from ebay £185 including delivery.

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I already love this story!!!

What happened to the original bike? Do you remember?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi Cathryn,

I joined the Navy in 1986 and when I joined my first ship in 87 I took the bike onboard with me to cycle foreign lands. That lasted couple of years until it was unfortunately stolen when locked up next to my ship on the jetty in Portsmouth Dockyard. 😪

Oooh that makes my blood boil. I'm so sorry.

You should get the new bike sprayed red :smile:

OP
OP
Sticky Green

Sticky Green

So, how is this build going to be completed?

Timescale: The bike is planned to be completed by the end of March.

Budget: Whatever it takes, but I won't be going out and buying a NOS complete Campagnolo groupset. The bike has several decent (but in poor repair) Campagnolo parts that I intend to restore. I will also be buying the other bits I need used, unless the only option is NOS. I love finding parts that just need a bit work and time to get them looking like new.

The end product: If all goes to plan, I will have beautiful red 1980s peugeot road bike with restored Campagnolo parts that will be able to enter Eroica Britannia August 2022.

I've already started shopping 😁

OP
OP
Sticky Green

Sticky Green

Here are some new parts I've manage to buy over the last few days.
The Campagnolo Berlin 36 wheel rim was a lucky find and now that I have a front rim to match the rear I will find some Campagnolo hubs and rebuild them with stainless spokes.
The cage is for a Campagnolo aero bottle that I'm still after. The bars are Ambrosio and while NOS they suit the bike (I think/hope).
The Campagnolo aero seatpost needs some work, plus it's 25mm, while the bike is 24mm. I'm going to ream the bike out to fit the seatpost.
The brake levers I found on Facebook and they are in beautiful condition.
More shopping to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sticky Green

Sticky Green

I remember those bikes from the eighties. Peugeot most have made thousands, they were in just about every mainstream cycling shop I went into.
Yeah, they were cheap and cheerful, but to me it was my first real racer. I still think that the frame, though made of 103 tubing, was beautiful with it's smooth lugless design. The bike rode really well and I have read stories of people going back to these old frames and enjoying the ride. I'm interested to see how heavy the frame and forks are being lugless. I'll weigh them when the bike is fully stripped down.

mpemburn

Hi Cathryn,

I enlisted in the Navy in 1986 and when I joined my first ship in 87 I took the bike onboard with me to cycle foreign lands. That lasted couple of years until it was unfortunately stolen when locked up next to my ship on the jetty in Portsmouth Dockyard. 😪
Ah. I’ve had too many bikes stolen over the course of my life. May the fleas of a thousand camels reside in the navel of the evil fart that stole your beloved Peugeot!

Top Bottom