Building the Dream Bike. An 80s Peugeot/Campagnolo Eroica restoration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sticky Green

Sticky Green

This looks right up my street! Keep the updates coming
Love the car, here's mine: maybe I should get it sprayed in peugeot team colours.

Last edited:
Carbolite 103 sounds like a rebranding of 1030 steel which is between the more basic high tensile steel used for some bikes of the era (1020/1010) and 1040 which is used by some of the big Asian factories for their robot made steel frames today and which are close to entry level chromoly frames in strength. The only issue is pretty much all steels rust the same except stainless steel and higher end old steel frames are more dangerous than the cheaper high tensile steel frames nowadays because of the chance of corrosion in the thin sections of their butted tubes. Thicker plain gauge steel frames from 40 years ago are far more resistant to rust in that it takes longer for the corrosion to work through the tubes (much longer).

So seems like Carbolite 103 would be a mid-price option of the era but likely not as strong as 1010 and 1020 frames because those frames weren't really trying to be lightweight more workhorse bikes.

I don't remember seeing Peugeot bikes locally back then. The main local independent bike shop was selling Raleigh brands and Puch bikes mainly and then there was Halfords who again were selling Raleigh and their own brands mainly so very little experience of Peugeot bikes in my area. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Peugeot bike in the flesh so to speak. I worked for a few years in a electrical shop that was right next to the local independent bike shop so often found myself browsing the store.

OP
OP
Sticky Green

Sticky Green

It is nice to see a new restoration project .
I can remember seeing a lot of Peugeot racers back in the early 80's in white mica colour schemes .
Good luck on the project .
Thanks. My intention is to take it to a unit just around the corner from me to be blasted and powder coated in the red of my original bike. They did a good job of a motorbike frame for me a few years ago, so I trust their work. I'm hoping that I can then add decals and clear coat myself. I've sprayed bikes myself in the past with decent results, i just need to confirm that the clear coat will sit on the powder coat OK.

OP
OP
Sticky Green

Sticky Green

Carbolite 103 sounds like a rebranding of 1030 steel which is between the more basic high tensile steel used for some bikes of the era (1020/1010) and 1040 which is used by some of the big Asian factories for their robot made steel frames today and which are close to entry level chromoly frames in strength. The only issue is pretty much all steels rust the same except stainless steel and higher end old steel frames are more dangerous than the cheaper high tensile steel frames nowadays because of the chance of corrosion in the thin sections of their butted tubes. Thicker plain gauge steel frames from 40 years ago are far more resistant to rust in that it takes longer for the corrosion to work through the tubes (much longer).

So seems like Carbolite 103 would be a mid-price option of the era but likely not as strong as 1010 and 1020 frames because those frames weren't really trying to be lightweight more workhorse bikes.

I don't remember seeing Peugeot bikes locally back then. The main local independent bike shop was selling Raleigh brands and Puch bikes mainly and then there was Halfords who again were selling Raleigh and their own brands mainly so very little experience of Peugeot bikes in my area. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Peugeot bike in the flesh so to speak. I worked for a few years in a electrical shop that was right next to the local independent bike shop so often found myself browsing the store.
I've almost finished stripping the bike and it is surprisingly light even though I assumed it would be a little lighter being of lugless construction. I've just got the head races and the bottom bracket to remove and then I will weigh the frame and forks separately. The frame seems to be in very good condition with little rust. I intend to remove (grind off) the mudguard rings and smooth out the edges of the dropouts with some light filing (to reduce that cheap stamped out look) before the powder coat. These bikes really are lovely when polished up to show off their lugless frames.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sticky Green

Sticky Green

I flipped one a couple of years ago, we paid a tenner for it.

View attachment 624614
Yeah, that's pretty much what my original bike looked like when I was a kid. Though I think it didn't have the Equipe decal on the downtube. I understand why these can go for a tenner. Apart from the frame, which I love, the rest of the bike was made up of incredibly cheap parts (those steel rims were exciting? going down some of Barnsley's bigger hills in the rain). Thus my plan is to restore the frame and replace all the parts with those Campagnolo ones l dreamt of as a nipper. Luckily my project bike came with quite a few lovely (though in need of a good clean and polish) Campagnolo parts already fitted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom