Bullying a female cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm sure there are dark corners of the internet where this type of behaviour is encouraged. To blame the disgraceful behaviour of the men in the car on some type of Maggie Thatcher bogeyman is taking it a bit far perhaps? Lumping all the people you disagree with into one big bin isn't that healthy.

I have no idea where you getting all this business about MT bogeymen, and talk of 'people I don't agree with' .

I was trying to comprehend how these guys thought their behaviour could be in any way acceptable.

If they weren't brought up that way.

I'm hoping not, So then there must be other influences.

There are vile groups, and places on the Internet where disrespecting of women is routine, encouraged even. .

These places may, or may not have contributed in this incident. .

But as a very troubling phenomenon in general they need to be stopped.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have no idea where you getting all this business about MT bogeymen, and talk of 'people I don't agree with' .

I was trying to comprehend how these guys thought their behaviour could be in any way acceptable.

If they weren't brought up that way.

I'm hoping not, So then there must be other influences.

There are vile groups, and places on the Internet where disrespecting of women is routine, encouraged even. .

These places may, or may not have contributed in this incident. .

But as a very troubling phenomenon in general they need to be stopped.

Trying to pin their behaviour on to anybody you disagree with politically is just plain lazy though, isn't it?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done for intervening @johnnyb47, and for staying with her till she got picked up, for giving your details.
Shame she will now, probably, curtail her cycling.
Then again, maybe she won't.
As a woman cycle commuting at all hours because I work crazy shifts, I know those incidents happen.
I am glad they have been rare for me, a handful of times in 8 years of cycling everywhere, but, still, they have happened.
Don't beat yourself up about not taking the reg number, I once got verbally abused by the crew of a Scottish Gas van, still never occurred to me to report it, only much later it occurred to me the company could have tracked who was in the van.
Hindsight and so on ....
Maybe you'll meet the woman again on ride, in better circumstances.
I really do hope what happened won't put her off cycling.

Johnno260

Veteran
I have had a car of 3 guys start on me before, and as someone who knows how to look after themselves it’s still very intimidating, but I made them back down.

For a female on her own I can’t even begin to imagine how she felt, people like this are just spineless dregs.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Drago

Legendary Member
When I used to work I was cycling home after a late shift, about 2330hrs one night. About halfway back I was I the arriss end of nowhere and I sees an MTBer with all the gear fiddling with his bike. Being the kind chap I am I stopped to offer assistance - he turned to look at the very large goatee bearded skinhead and nearly ***t himself. It took me half a minute to calm him down and convince him that I was genuinely offering to help and not trying to rob him.

Andywinds

Well done for stopping. I've also witnessed this before and as soon as I turn up the driver usually moves on. But I've also been followed before on my own, not great.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Being the kind chap I am I stopped to offer assistance - he turned to look at the very large goatee bearded skinhead and nearly ***t himself. It took me half a minute to calm him down and convince him that I was genuinely offering to help and not trying to rob him.
That reminds me of when, on a dark evening riding through an empty green space with a female friend.
We were just back after leading a beginners ride, so we had all kind of bike tool with us.
To the lone, male cyclist fiddling with his bike, we said "we are the Belles on Bikes, can we help?"
The guy went :eek: ... barked back ... NOOOO!
:laugh:

Top Bottom