Bullying a female cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So it seems! You crudely misrepresented what he said, which was that there might be a connection between online behaviours and offline ones.

Thankyou exactly that.

I think there was a misunderstanding @slowmotion when I say 'far right' I'm talking about fascistic sorts EDF that kind of thing, who justify violence.

Not Conservative voters.

As Pat says any type of violence, threat or intimidation is unacceptable.
We don't need to point that out surely??

I was indicating places where these sorts of behaviours are excused.
Which need addressing.

And that they all add into a general atmosphere of misogyny, or male entitlement to disrespect women in particular - as @theclaud is illustrating.

Remember - "evil prospers when good men do nothing"

If you're not part of the solution - you're part of the problem.

Our OP intervened, if course, as any of us should, good for him - traumatic for him - far worse for the woman - who will most likely now have this incident at the back of her mind every time she goes out - but I hope it won't stop her

But stamping out this awful type of behaviour needs to start long before anyone even begins to think that this kind of behaviour is OK.

Catcalling in the street, harassment, lewd remarks, 'boys will be boys' all that b*ll*x - it degrades us all.

Understand now??

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
evil prosers when hod men do nothing.
Is this something to do with bricklaying again?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thread has gone predictable. Well done OP for helping a fellow cyclist / human being irrespective of the gender of said person.

Except the nature of this incident, and its repurcussions is not 'irrespective of gender' is it?

To suggest otherwise is burying your head in the sand and means that we are no closer to making the world a safer place for everyone.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Joining this a bit late. Well done for helping a fellow cyclist, the people harassing her are mindless scum.

I hope she is not too traumatized by the event and is not put off solo riding. As has been said before, we should always look after each other out there on the road. There are 2 issues here, anti cyclist and misogyny and this is an illustration of what happens when you find yourself in the over lap of that particularly hateful Venn diagram.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Well done you and your right we do need to stick together and help each other out.
Let's hope she's not put off you never know she maybe on here. What i'd say is don't let them beat you they are not worth it.
Luckily more nice folk about than bad we just never hear about them.

potsy

Rambler
Are you sure this isn't the plot of the next Jason Statham film, only missing Jason you, taking on the 3 blokes and leaving them in a pile on the floor and then bedding the girl:boxing: :wub: :whistle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Are you sure this isn't the plot of the next Jason Statham film, only missing Jason you, taking on the 3 blokes and leaving them in a pile on the floor and then bedding the girl:boxing: :wub: :whistle:

This is your lampooning of the situation referenced in another thread, where an awful incident, that has most likely traumatised young woman, is then, made into a jokey trope where it is

'All about the guy'

Please tell me that is the case :stop:

Rach1

Previously known as wrinkly
Well done Johnnyb47. That girl must have been so relieved when you intervened. I so hope she gets back out there maybe with company initially.
As a newbie female cyclist (slow, mature) I guess my pace could be annoying to some. As I become more adventurous I am no longer using my lovely pink cycling jacket on my own!! Out on some roads where there are few houses and little civilisation I now use my bright yellow jacket. I feel it makes me look more masculine and less of a target. Pink jacket with cycling club though. I think in my limited time in the sport there is a camaraderie out there.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well done you and your right we do need to stick together and help each other out.
Let's hope she's not put off you never know she maybe on here. What i'd say is don't let them beat you they are not worth it.
Luckily more nice folk about than bad we just never hear about them.

Yes if the very few 'bad guys' put you off going out by yourself..

Wherever, whenever, and wearing whatever you want to.

Then 'the bad guys' have won, and they are controlling other peoples behaviour, aren't they?

And we don't want that happening do we?

Just out of interest - how many guys on here have ever based choices about the colour of their jacket around whether or not it would make subject to unwanted attention from other road users ??

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have heard of male cyclists wearing pink jackets in the hope they may be treated with a little more consideration if drivers think they are female.

I doubt it makes much difference tbh.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have heard of male cyclists wearing pink jackets in the hope they may be treated with a little more consideration if drivers think they are female.

I doubt it makes much difference tbh.

Well no of course it doesn't,

Gender is usually fairly apparent from the movement in the hips.

Top Bottom