Bullying a female cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi all and hope you're well.
With the amazing weather of late there's been loads of cycling going on with me. I've also seen many other cyclists too taking advantage of the balmy weather. Last night though ,one of my usual quiet 20 miles around the lanes took an unexpected turn for the worst.
It started off uneventful and in the far distance along a dark secluded lane i spotted a flashing light of another cyclist. Before i knew it i was virtually behind the cyclist and noticed that it was stationary with a car stopped in front of it I could hear raised voices and realised there was some sort of altercation going on. When i got close up, it turned out there was around 3 guys from the car and they where giving the young lady cyclist some real nasty abuse. Baring in mind, we were in the middle of nowhere and it was pitch black i decided to stop and intervene. After giving these guys a few harsh looks and preparing to tell them to do one they just got in the car and sped off leaving this poor young lady shaking like a leaf with fear. She was really scared witless of what had happened. Apparently these bully's close past her about two miles back and when she protested about it, they stopped and antagonised her for 2 miles along the road. With no houses or rat runs in sight to escape she had no choice but to just simply keep on cycling hoping they would lose interest and go on there way. She told me she genuinely feared something was going to horribly happen to her. I stayed with her for 20 minutes and reassured her she was now safe and waited until her partner came and picked her up.
Sadly with it all happening so quickly for me, i didn't think to the cars registration and as she was so stressed out over the situation she didn't get it either.
I gave her my details just incase she needed a witness if she was to report it to the police.
After she went one her way home i set off on my way and thought about it all for the whole 15 miles of my ride. It really annoyed me to think of how could a group of blokes woild think its funny or clever to intimidate a young girl in the middle of nowhere. In my opinion there just Spineless bullying cowards who run away at the first sight of me.Sometimes i often wish a had a camera attached to my bike as it would of captured the reg of some of these clowns and any aggressive behaviour..
Anyway apart from my rant on the dregs of sociality i hope you're all well and enjoying this fantastic weather with your cycling

Drago

Legendary Member
They're nothing short of bullying scum. Good on you, Sir.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers Drago Its was just by pure coincidence i was in the right place at the right time. I dread to think what could of happened to her if i didn't turn up when i did. Maybe nothing but who knows with today's society

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thinking on whilst texting this i,m a firm believer that cyclists should always be there for each other out on our sometimes dangerous and crazy roads. We're an easy target from the less considerate driver's out there who think they can bully vulnerable cyclists.Whether its just a simple offer of a spare inner tube ect, to stepping in to stop outright bullying of a lone female cyclist,, its surely one of the qualities us cyclists will always have

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
39287.jpg
Mrs MVeteran
Well done!
Totally agree, spineless bullies :angry:
Poor lady must have been petrified and absolutely relieved when you turned up..

She was really scared bless her.
She also looked like she was an experienced cyclist too, so for something like this to upset her must of been serious. What goes round comes round and these idiots will upset the wrong person one day.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thats the sad thing about it. She may well be reluctant to go out cycling now in the dark after this.

Awful, scary stuff, good on you for intervening, but then I'd like to hope any of us would.

Did she want to report this to the police?
Could you be a witness?

Are you in a sparsely populated enough area to make this worth putting on some kind of local Facebook page or whatever.

See if they can be identified? Or at least shamed into desisting?

Maybe not specifically mentioning it was a woman being intimidated - don't want to dissuade others from going out.

But worth phoning police to ask for best course of action perhaps, and let them know these yobs are about.

Who raises kids to think this kind of behaviour is even remotely OK??

Apparently there are dark corners of the Internet where 'entitled' male behaviour, like this is encouraged / justified.

Those places need busting open, and flushing out.. Like the far right, and other extremist groups.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Awful, scary stuff, good on you for intervening, but then I'd like to hope any of us would.

Apparently there are dark corners of the Internet where 'entitled' male behaviour, like this is encouraged / justified.

Those places need busting open, and flushing out.. Like the far right, and other extremist groups.

I'm sure there are dark corners of the internet where this type of behaviour is encouraged. To blame the disgraceful behaviour of the men in the car on some type of Maggie Thatcher bogeyman is taking it a bit far perhaps? Lumping all the people you disagree with into one big bin isn't that healthy.

Top Bottom