Bus Lane Boris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

No, but the LCC is

The research wasn't from the LCC, so you've barged once again into a thread you haven't bothered to read properly to disrupt, annoy, and continue your petty feuds.

This makes threads hard to follow and discourages new users to post anything.

It interupts the flow of information and sidetracks the subject onto what you really want to talk about- yourself.

Why do you keep doing this?

Respond on Soapbox please, at least leave this area of the site free from your tiresome self-obsessed self-gratifying.

spindrift

The TFL trial hailed to show that ptws in bus lanes was flawed:

Tactics of BMF and allies The tactics employed by the pro-motorcycling forces is to use local trials of PTWs in bus lanes to "prove" that "there isn't a problem". These trials are far too small scale to produce statistically meaningful accident data [information to be added]. Meanwhile they are purposely ignoring [information to be added] the Department for Transport's national accident data, which shows clearly and consistently that motorcycles are, in fact, extremely dangerous to vulnerable road users; in fact, significantly more dangerous than cars.

This page and its linked pages explain the true picture, referencing solid data from authoritative sources.

Why shouldn't PTWs be allowed in bus lanes? Motorcycles and mopeds should not be allowed in bus lanes for multiple reasons:

Safety: The BMF suggests that PTWs are not a serious danger to vulnerable road users. Yet DfT road accident data shows conclusively that PTW use is almost twice as hazardous to pedal cyclists as car use, and at least 3 times as dangerous to pedestrians. The BMF also suggests that PTW users are as much victims of pedestrian and cyclist behaviour as vice versa. Yet DfT road accident data shows the true risks are appallingly one-sided.

Air quality: DfT measurements show that PTWs are far more polluting than cars. Croydon Health Authority and the Greater London Authority have both said that poor air quality kills many Londoners each year. Therefore, measures that may lead to an increase is the use of PTWs, and which will bring PTW exhausts nearer to both cyclists and pedestrians, should be avoided.

Policy: Permitting PTWs to use bus lanes is likely to discourage the take-up of pedal cycling. This flies in the face of local and national government objectives to encourage green forms of transport.

These issues are covered in more detail, with references, on other pages - just follow the links.
http://www.croydon-lcc.org.uk/campaigns/ptw_bus_lanes.htm

LLB

spindrift said:
No, but the LCC is

The research wasn't from the LCC, so you've barged once again into a thread you haven't bothered to read properly to disrupt, annoy, and continue your petty feuds.

This makes threads hard to follow and discourages new users to post anything.

It interupts the flow of information and sidetracks the subject onto what you really want to talk about- yourself.

Why do you keep doing this?

Respond on Soapbox please, at least leave this area of the site free from your tiresome self-obsessed self-gratifying.

Yet again you use your gutter language outside the soapbox. This thread belongs there or in the political board. It has nothing to do with commuting.

Where is the money you promised ?

spindrift

I would have thought that going on holiday so soon after the election wasn't the best message to send to the electorate.

Boris was accused during the election of not being as committed to the job as his rivals and of not being committed to London. Taking a holiday while not being in the job a month may be seen as confirming what his rivals and opponents said.

Oh poor old De PPfeffel "Ah'm soooo exhauuusted I have to go away and leave the running of London to those who probably actually know it more than I do.

Oh.

Well I jolly well hope so.

Waiter?

Another G&T please!"

Dear Aperitif,

Thank you for your e-mail received 23 May 2008 with further reference to the pending introduction of Motorcycles in Bus Lanes.

The newly elected Mayor wishes to further encourage modal shift away from the private car and believes that motorcycles have an important role to play in this. As you are aware, he has therefore instructed us to take steps to facilitate the use of bus lanes by motorcycles. I regret that you are not relishing this policy change proposed under the current Mayor. Please be aware that the major reason behind this proposal is to reduce congestion within the capital and we predict this will have a positive effect.

Unfortunately, at present, I am unable to provide any timescales as to when this will occur. Obviously, however, we will be constantly monitoring and reviewing the introduction of motorcycles in bus lanes once it is introduced to ensure that this continues to represent a positive step for London's congestion problem.

Please be assured that every attempt will be made to encourage a good relationship between cyclists and motorcyclists while making their journeys on London roads. Your comments are appreciated and have been recorded for further reviews of this issue which may take place in the future.

Thank you once again for your continued interest in this matter and please feel free to contact us again with further feedback you may have in the future.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McBride
Customer Service Advisor-London Streets
Surface Transport Communications
Transport for London
:biggrin:
I replied - it is tiresome.

vodkalondon

To me the only fair way to solve this would be getting enough data on causalities before and after. If there's no change or improvement for either cyclists or motorcyclists, in fact if this whole thing will save a single extra life, - then all those arguments between "selfish arrogant red-light-jumping lycra-wearing" cyclists and "unlicensed speeding close-passing cycle-lane-riding" bikers does not mean a thing to me.

Just bring in some raw unbiased data (sorry, LCC) and job done.

Tynan

Veteran
given this is already running in other parts of the country and data from that is already disputed, it ain't gonna happen is it, the lackadaisical way Boris's mob are already treating this means they're don't care about that anyway

vodkalondon

And that's what's most annoying. Neither Ken nor Boris care about safety, it's just their political agenda. That's who both cyclists and bikers should put the pressure on, not each other. Being both, I'll gladly agree with either decision based on research data (undoctored, Ken), not on political bulls@@t from either mayor or any pressure group, whether cyclists, bikers, environmental or gay rights.

....ahhhh. The 'gay rights' angle. Perhaps it was only a matter of time....

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
One thing that can never be taken away from Ken and his influence on the Capital is the level of social acceptance of individuals no matter what their race, religion or sexuality. All things that Ken worked so hard towards in his GLC days and make London so colourful and varied.

LLB

Back to the title of the title of this thread. This report claimed positive benefits for cyclists and pedestrians by allowing motorcycles into the bus lanes but apparently Red Ken suppressed prior to being voted out as he is well known for his dislike for motorcycles.

The claim is that pedestrians take more care stepping into bus lanes if they know that motorcycles are using them and as a result helps to reduce the risk between cyclists and pedestrians!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2008/01/26/mflane126.xml

See the comment

I'm surprised Ken Leninshit allows any motorised vehicles into his empire.
As for bus lanes and PTWs using them, surely we should be grateful for the fact that special traffic lanes are not restricted to bullock carts being driven by disabled lesbian marxist feminist muslim asylum seekers.
Who hate the west.
And men.
Posted by paul atherton on February 20, 2008 6:49 PM

They could be posting from here ;)

linfordlunchbox said:
The claim is that pedestrians take more care stepping into bus lanes if they know that motorcycles are using them and as a result helps to reduce the risk between cyclists and pedestrians!
(and motorcyclists).

Animal

Honestly. Why are you here? You just post crap. You don't belong here, so why are you actually bothering yourself to post it?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
In fairness Animal, who the fu*k are you?

Linf may be a nutter, and I don't know how he has the patience to keep posting as he does, but he's been around for years, and we know the score.

You, animal, on the other hand, have appeared from nowhere and are just spouting childish, over-excited anti-car crap.

Maybe it's another bimblyfimbly alter-ego?

Top Bottom