c2w - should you have to actually cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ankaradan

It does seem that the scheme, as it is run at present, is open to misuse. It is not an equitable system, if it depends on your employer's willingness to participate. It also seems unfair to single out cycling for a tax break. If you choose to run or walk to work, shouldn't you be able to get tax relief on your expensive trainers.
From a personal point of view, I would not be happy that a fully waged person can get tax relief on a bike and then not use it, whilst I, as a pensione, am not granted the same tax break.

subaqua

What’s the point
[quote="youngoldbloke, post: 2286359, member: 2740"And maybe a graduated BMI tax for those exceeding the 'safe' levels :wacko:?
Please no, I could never hit my "safe" BMI, as it is so inaccurate a measurement. Remember most rugby players are way above their "safe" zone.[/quote]
most rugby players are a damn sight fitter than the general sort of person who doesn't fit into a BMI slot. but i do agree that BMI is a obblox way of determining health. waist size is far better. as is body fat %age. not easy to determine accurate fat %age though apparently.

and yes i fit into a unhealthy BMI zone- of 31 to get to the healthy normal of 25 I would look seriuosly ill - and my doctor has told me that.

Sara_H

Guru
yes, bending the rules, but not breaking them.

Legally ok. And presumably morally ok if you are happy to pocket the tax saving while expecting a poorly paid nurse to pay her tax to fund your saving.

But that is not the circumstance i initially described..... correction, i have just checked back and my post was poorly worded: I meant buying a fleet of bikes most of which are never intended to be used a a commuter bike. I know folks who already had a bike or few who have bought eg an MTB, a tourer, a nice summer road bike all on the scheme and have never used any of them for commuting. that is abuse of the sysstem pure and simple.

The scheme was intended to encourage non cyclists to cycle. but as with all Tax allowances clever folks find a way to qualify when the scheme was not intended for them.
Speaking as a poorly paid nurse, I don't mind my tax helping to fund the cycle to work scheme. Rather that than the Somalian pirates swimming lessons.

redcard

Veteran
yes, bending the rules, but not breaking them.

Legally ok. And presumably morally ok if you are happy to pocket the tax saving while expecting a poorly paid nurse to pay her tax to fund your saving.

Simple logic, but poorly paid nurses don't pay much tax, so they're lucky if they're funding 3 bikes between them all.

So, no. Nurses aren't funding the c2w scheme.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
nobody is funding it really - does my fellow work colleague pay more tax to make up the short fall on my c2w bike. no he doesnt he pays the same tax he would have paid if i didnt have the bike.

so in a nutshell the govt is funding it - not the nurses, teachers, police officers, soldiers and certainly not the local mp's.

nothing else to see here, so lets move on now there's good little children.

Sara_H

Guru
but poorly paid nurses don't pay much tax.

My pay slip begs to differ.

JayBear

Regular
I'm not a nurse, but I'm not the most remunerated person in the world. If all of my tax contributions direct to the c2w scheme that I have ever made were refunded to me today I would be stunned if it was elegible for anything more that a penny rebate. Probably not even that.

Standoff

so in a nutshell the govt is funding it - not the nurses, teachers, police officers, soldiers and certainly not the local mp's.
The 'government' is funding it is it?
I suppose that seeing we are spending roughly ten billion more a month than we as a country pay in tax then the government is borrowing money to pay for the c2w scheme.
So in actual fact your children and their children will be paying for your bike!
Still... Won't be our problem then will it?

Standoff

On the one hand you complain about wasteful bureaucracy (i.e. the state) but you suggest that my employer (the council) create posts to check up whether or not I travel to work on a bike obtained through c2w scheme. I'm confused

Was being ironic hitchington!
What do you do at the council may I ask?

Top Bottom