c2w - should you have to actually cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Standoff

Essential work in a social services department that's under attack by an ideologically driven government

Well that's one thing that I do blame thatcher for! It was her government that started the welfare explosion (it really was) and led to the enormous growth in social issues and the required armies of social workers and other 'agencies' to cater for the result!

PK99

Legendary Member
nobody is funding it really - does my fellow work colleague pay more tax to make up the short fall on my c2w bike. no he doesnt he pays the same tax he would have paid if i didnt have the bike.

so in a nutshell the govt is funding it - not the nurses, teachers, police officers, soldiers and certainly not the local mp's.

Errm, who funds the government? Let me give you a clue: Everyone who pays taxes. That is why tax avoidance in all its forms is morally unacceptable

its getting boring now people - move on.

Please yes, can everyone who wants to discuss the whys and wherefores of UK government and its taxation policies, the social welfare system of the uk and whether or not it is possible to have your bin emptied privately cheaper than the council does it - I'm sure there is a focus group somewhere you can join.

Everyone else, who wants to consider perhaps how the C2W scheme could be improved as (I keep banging this drum lol) yes its of value but it needs some work - feel free to stick around.

Cheers!:tongue:

Standoff

Errm, who funds the government? Let me give you a clue: Everyone who pays taxes. That is why tax avoidance in all its forms is morally unacceptable

I find it morally unacceptable to be made to pay for illegal wars, bankers, duck houses, John prescotts meals, John Prescott, other people's kids, other people's bikes....

PK99

Legendary Member
Everyone else, who wants to consider perhaps how the C2W scheme could be improved as (I keep banging this drum lol) yes its of value but it needs some work - feel free to stick around.

Cheers!:tongue:

ok: going back to the original question:
c2w - should you have to actually cycle to work?

Yes - and anyone who takes a C2W bike not intending to use it to cycle to work is a thief.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I find it morally unacceptable to be made to pay for illegal wars, bankers, duck houses, John prescotts meals, John Prescott, other people's kids, other people's bikes....
There's a special place for that sort of discussion. Post over there and you'll get ritually shredded to bits a robust a vigorous debate.

Standoff

Actually, don't. Call it a day. Got to get some work done. Other people's bikes won't pay for themselves!

matthat

Über Member
I've now had 3 bikes over last 4 yrs and I've regularly commuted on mtb and hybrid and am now purchasing a defy (still waiting for scheme cheque ) I have never once been questioned by Hr which bike i use or other whether i still own the bikes i've purchased through scheme as i have opted for keeping them for the full 3 yrs. Although I am regularly seen with helmet and jacket and hump cover on rucksack which gives the game away.

pixiepie

I'm about to buy a bike on the cycle to work scheme and I've had to sign an agreement saying I'll use it for at least 50% of my journeys (which I will easily). The paperwork I've signed says that if I end up not using the bike to commute, I have to tell them and the payments will be taken from my net pay so I don't benefit from any tax breaks. Basically, the scheme works on you being honest as there's no way of realistically enforcing it.

Top Bottom