c2w - should you have to actually cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
We have a fair few customers collecting bikes on the c2w scheme, I would hazard a guess that less than 10% of them have any intention of actually cycling to work.
They seem to fall into three categories- older chaps who do cycle wanting boardmans for weekend rides, 30 somethings wanting carrera's for two or three weekend rides before retiring the bike to the garage, someone's dad wanting a mtb "to go out with the lad" .
The only one's who absolutely do commute to work seem to be council workmen who do it partly out of sufference (wife has the car) and partly because they know it's doing them good in the long run.
If we get a woman in wanting one the bike chosen often looks suspiciously like it's going to be a present for an older child, and there was one lady who couldn't understand why we wouldn't sell her a 12inch child's bike on the scheme!
Surely the point of the scheme is to encourage people to leave their cars at home, so shouldn't there be some insistence that participants do just that?
I'd propose a penalty and if the bike wasn't used for the commute atleast four times a month then they would have to pay for it in full.

I went for a Boardman as I wanted a bike that wouldn't get me beaten up by serious cyclists! :rolleyes:

I agree in principle with what you say. It's slightly irritating that people "bend" the rules for their own personal gain (i.e. get the son/daughter a cheap bike for Xmas) - especially if this results in a worsening of conditions for the intended beneficiary (i.e. cyclists who cycle to work). Just look at the way the scheme has changed (for the worse) the last couple of years. Unfortunately that's the way the world is now and everyone (mostly) looks out for themselves.

As for some sort of policing of the scheme - that would never get off the ground. See comment above about everyone looking out for themselves. No company would want to take responsibility and I suspect the costs involved would be prohibitive anyway!

Good idea in an ideal world though.

Sara_H

Guru
If we get a woman in wanting one the bike chosen often looks suspiciously like it's going to be a present for an older child, and there was one lady who couldn't understand why we wouldn't sell her a 12inch child's bike on the scheme!
Is it actually within the rules that you can't by a child's bike on the scheme? Because, one barrier to cycle commuting is that people often have a commitment to taking kids to school en route, so a child's bike could be considered to be part of the necessary commuting equipment.
I bought my mountain bike on the scheme, had no intention of commuting on it - discovered I didn't like mountain biking and turned it into a tourer/commuter with rack and mudguards!

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Tbh I don't know the full rules, t&c's etc, but as far as I'm aware the bike has to be for yourself. You can buy two bikes, but they both have to be for the same sex-two ladies, or two men's bikes, not one of each.
I know it could never be policed, it's just one of my pet hates at the moment.
Bending the rules slightly - like buying a mtb as an "extra" - I don't think is too terrible, but buying as a gift to someone else I think is just wrong.

martint235

Dog on a bike
HMRC website states:

"the employees must use the cycle or equipment mainly for qualifying journeys. 'Qualifying journeys' means the same as for the works bus exemption (see EIM21850). Other use of the cycle, for instance pleasure use or use by members of the employee's family will not disqualify the exemption provided that the other use is not the main use of the bicycle."

It goes on to say "Employees are not expected to keep detailed records of time spent cycling or miles travelled for the purpose of this 'main use' test. Accept that the test is satisfied unless there is clear evidence to suggest that less than half of the use of the cycle or equipment is on qualifying journeys. If it is clear that there is substantial use of the cycle for qualifying journeys, do not make special enquiries about the extent of any other use."

I assume it would then be up to the employer to re-instate tax on the loan if they felt that the above wasn't being applied. To be honest I can't see an employer bothering (apart from Govt Depts which seem to have a thing about these things).

martint235

Dog on a bike
But you are still paying for it out of your wages,
But you do get a tax break because of it so effectively the rest of the country is subsidising your bike.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well you get 20% off more or less or 40% if you're a higher earner minus the final purchase cost which iirc can be deferred for years until it's minimal.

I have to admit I've not looked into C2W too much as yet but will probably use it to buy the next commuter.

Peteaud

Veteran
Well you get 20% off more or less or 40% if you're a higher earner minus the final purchase cost which iirc can be deferred for years until it's minimal.

I have to admit I've not looked into C2W too much as yet but will probably use it to buy the next commuter.

I have as my work does it, but it's not for me.

It can be good, and no doubt its good for the industry and a good way of buying a decent bike.

Sara_H

Guru
HMRC website states:

"the employees must use the cycle or equipment mainly for qualifying journeys. 'Qualifying journeys' means the same as for the works bus exemption (see EIM21850). Other use of the cycle, for instance pleasure use or use by members of the employee's family will not disqualify the exemption provided that the other use is not the main use of the bicycle."

Which seems to indicate that a childs bike could be bought on the scheme if it is to be used as I outlined.

We have a fair few customers collecting bikes on the c2w scheme, I would hazard a guess that less than 10% of them have any intention of actually cycling to work.
They seem to fall into three categories- older chaps who do cycle wanting boardmans for weekend rides, 30 somethings wanting carrera's for two or three weekend rides before retiring the bike to the garage, someone's dad wanting a mtb "to go out with the lad" .
The only one's who absolutely do commute to work seem to be council workmen who do it partly out of sufference (wife has the car) and partly because they know it's doing them good in the long run.
Surely the point of the scheme is to encourage people to leave their cars at home, so shouldn't there be some insistence that participants do just that?
I'd propose a penalty and if the bike wasn't used for the commute atleast four times a month then they would have to pay for it in full.

As a good citizen, you should report them to HMRC for tax evasion - online option shown here.

Top Bottom