c2w - should you have to actually cycle to work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
If the child were cycling along with the adult - to nursery/school before work etc- then yes,in theory.
I don't imagine anyone's employer has the time to grill them about how many miles they've done, or not done.
And as it goes through the company HR or wherever, it's possible that your actual "boss" doesn't even know you've bought a bike.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Rules in my place state that your boss has to actually see the bike and sign that they have done so. Obviously what happens after that will be outside their control.

Standoff

My friend and his wife both have bikes on this scheme. He lives on site and she works 120 miles away (stays away during the week).
Another example of one taxpayer subsidising another and government getting involved in areas it shouldn't!

sidevalve

Über Member
The scheme is just another "let's all look as though we're doing something for the environment" government waste of tax payers money, like many cyclepaths that go nowhere or simply are more dangerous than the road they "replace".
Offering empoyers, large stores etc etc incentives to build [and monitor] safe cycle parking might be a better way forward.

I dont see how anyone can object to someone else getting a bike at all other than perhaps jealousy. The scheme is available anyone employed (full time?) in the uk and if your company doesnt do it, you can either request that they do or help implement it yourselves.

I'm not an expert on C2W, and its intricacies, but anything that gets more bums on saddles is a winner in my book.

carolonabike

I initiated our cycle to work scheme just over two years ago and four of us bought bikes. I genuinely thought (hoped) that it would encourage my co-workers to cycle to work especially as they all live less than a mile away. I live 5 miles away and I'm the only one who has ever used the bike for its intended purpose. One walked to work until he left, the other two drive in, every day. It probably takes longer to get the car out than it would to cycle. One of the bikes has been sitting in our basement untouched for the last 18 months :sad:. Very disappointing.
On the plus side, I'm fitter and richer than I was, or at least I would be richer but I've spent far more than I've saved on lovely bike related things.

Me neither. Just stop asking me to pay for it!

How are you paying for it? My bike cost £500, I had £500 deducted from my wages. Where's your contribution?

David Haworth

The scheme is available anyone employed (full time?) in the uk and if your company doesnt do it, you can either request that they do or help implement it yourselves.

Oh if only! You can't get c2w if your employer refuses to do it. My employer claims that the changes to the HR system to accommodate this would be too expensive and won't do it. Not a lot I can do alas.

What's worse is that I work for the government!

David

Standoff

How are you paying for it? My bike cost £500, I had £500 deducted from my wages. Where's your contribution?

I apologise. I assumed there was some sort of tax incentive with c2w? Forgive me but if your bike cost £500 and you are paying that amount for it why on earth is government getting involved in this? Just buy the bike yourself!

Oh if only! You can't get c2w if your employer refuses to do it. My employer claims that the changes to the HR system to accommodate this would be too expensive and won't do it. Not a lot I can do alas.

What's worse is that I work for the government!

David

Ah sorry to hear that, I could start saying 'well you could protest etc' but having argued with my own employer over things down the years I appreciate sometimes, you just dont get what you want.

I apologise. I assumed there was some sort of tax incentive with c2w? Forgive me but if your bike cost £500 and you are paying that amount for it why on earth is government getting involved in this? Just buy the bike yourself!

I still dont understand how you have paid for some of my bike?

Top Bottom