Cabbie runs a red light...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
What a twunt. He's probably just hacked off cos he's a stupid, fat, pig ignorant lard arse who spends his miserable, pointless life in a nasty ugly black box moaning about immigrants and listening to shite phone-ins. Apart from that, I can't see his problem.

jmaccyd

Glow worm said:
What a twunt. He's probably just hacked off cos he's a stupid, fat, pig ignorant lard arse who spends his miserable, pointless life in a nasty ugly black box moaning about immigrants and listening to shite phone-ins. Apart from that, I can't see his problem.

Dear-oh-dear YOU do have some issues. As for decent phone ins they have been difficult to find over the years (groan.. John Gaunt), but James O'Brian on LBC is excellent (although he does use some big words some have a dictionary handy). Not fat, reasonably intelligent, God bless the imigrants they are all welcome in my book, and happy to have any job with four million decent people facing the dole as the bankers rake it in. Next..

Norm

jmaccyd said:
I think you are confusing your lines of responsabilities a little. The licensing body is the Public Carriage Office (PCO) that used to be run by the Met police. Indeed, your cab driver's license is signed by whoever is the Deputy Commisioner of the Met is at the time. However, now the PCO reports to TFL, and therefore finally to Mayor Boris Johnson. '
Thanks for the update, my knowledge of such things is obviously a few years old. :angry:

jmaccyd

Quite - the point is everyone does it. Set a video up at any junction and watch RLJ at almost every phase of the lights. The worst offenders in pure numbers are cyclists, to your average pedestrain and motorist cyclists, through their own behaviour, have almost lost the right to complain about it. The shame is all too often the victim of RLJ will be a cyclist

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
BentMikey said:
Oh, no worries. It's a big main road, the A20 at the New Cross gyratory system.

Cheers for that, the video made me wonder about driver visibility from the side road (turns out its called Shardeloes Rd). I suppose it would only have taken a driver to gun it through the green off that junction and end up in the taxi's side. Or an early amber gamble as it changes to green :angry:

As for can drivers in general.. I have to say I think some of the taxi drivers around here, if they're anything to go by, get a LOT of stick of people. A fair few get assaulted locally by fares. I can see how perhaps one or two might end up wishing to find someone else to be a victim for a change.

Glow worm said:

Actually the last cab ride I had was quite entertaining and he wasn't a stupid, fat, pig ignorant lard arse.:angry:

davidg

User3143 said:
Never do what?I think that's a generalisation that's a bit harsh.

wasnt really generalising as such...
but (!)
just meant that if you commute in london and have never been overtaken closely by a cabbie, then you havent left your street yet!

plenty of cabbies are really good, but like any genre of traffic, you are going to get some melons...cabbies are a big percentage, therefore it happens a lot with cabbies....

stowie

Legendary Member
jmaccyd said:
Quite - the point is everyone does it. Set a video up at any junction and watch RLJ at almost every phase of the lights. The worst offenders in pure numbers are cyclists, to your average pedestrain and motorist cyclists, through their own behaviour, have almost lost the right to complain about it. The shame is all too often the victim of RLJ will be a cyclist

Technically can pedestrians RLJ? Because they are the biggest group to cross the road on a red signal. Just because pedestrians cross on a red signal doesn't give cyclists the excuse to do it, and because some cyclists jump lights doesn't excuse black cabs doing it either.

The cab driver went way too close to the cyclist on the second overtake, and sailed through a major set of traffic lights in the face of multiple lanes of crossing traffic. Either he is using his cab to intimidate other road users or he isn't in control of the cab whilst driving. Either way he should be reported.

It surprises me because I don't tend to experience bad driving from black cabs - and they also tend to give me more room than the average car. Maybe I am lucky, or more likely, black cab drivers are generally considerate.

Norm

stowie said:
It surprises me because I don't tend to experience bad driving from black cabs...
My thoughts too.

I could be uncharitable and say that they are doing themselves out of money by going through a red, as they earn even when stationary. ;)

Then again, from the few cabbies (not London) who I do know, they don't do it because their licence means more to them than it would to most other people.

stowie

Legendary Member
Norm said:
My thoughts too.

I could be uncharitable and say that they are doing themselves out of money by going through a red, as they earn even when stationary. :biggrin:

Then again, from the few cabbies (not London) who I do know, they don't do it because their licence means more to them than it would to most other people.

That and the fact that black cabbies rack up a very serious mileage in all conditions on London streets so they are more aware of cyclists and other roadusers. Also they tend to know where they are going - you rarely see a black cab dithering in the road whilst trying to read an A-Z upside-down.

I have to say that I have had them overtake me only to notice a fare a pull in sharply, but it never has been dangerous.

I don't understand the cabbie in the video. If you think of the A20 at that point and the fact that he shot the red light way after it had changed, the other lights may well have been green and he could have ploughed through a motorbike making a quick getaway from the lights. Just seems really reckless.

Top Bottom