Cabbie runs a red light...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
ComedyPilot said:
Why do they need 'additional skills' to drive near cyclists (and other vulnerable road users come to think of it), that should be a permenant prerequisite for driving anyway, shouldn't it?

Exactly, and that comment they made might lead people to feel that there is a culture of taxis being driven badly around cyclists.

I have just watched this clip and have to say that the first overtake didnt look close to me (maybe you had to be there). The second however was a clear cut up, possibly a response to the abuse he had received.

Origamist

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
Why do they need 'additional skills' to drive near cyclists (and other vulnerable road users come to think of it), that should be a permenant prerequisite for driving anyway, shouldn't it?

Yes, it should, but sadly, it's not the case. Bus lanes can lead to conflict between cyclists and HCs and a lot of this aggro is due to a lack of mutual understanding.

Bus lanes should not be an area of contestation and confrontation. Hopefully, this proposal will be pushed through by TFL.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
addictfreak said:
I have just watched this clip and have to say that the first overtake didnt look close to me (maybe you had to be there). The second however was a clear cut up, possibly a response to the abuse he had received.

The first overtake was at around 2 feet, which is too close by most peoples' standards. What abuse are you referring to? All I said to him was "Too close, mate. Too close." Even if I had abused him, which I hadn't, that will still be no excuse, or are you suggesting otherwise?

Origamist

Legendary Member
downfader said:
Exactly, and that comment they made might lead people to feel that there is a culture of taxis being driven badly around cyclists.

There is - it's endemic in bus lanes. A sizeable number of HC drivers slalom through bus lanes with little consideration for pedestrians and cyclists, and to a lesser extent, PTWs.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
addictfreak said:
No excuse at all, but certainly looked further than 2 feet. You posted the footage I you dont like the comments dont post it.

Yes, that's a common thing with cameras. If you look at road features and compare distances, or if you watch lots of camera footage, you'll get better at estimating the passing distances. My mate suggested I do a calibration image to measure with, I'd better do that to make it easier for everyone.

What abuse was there, or are you going to retract that?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
addictfreak said:
Certainly sounded like an f off to me when the second pass came!

And this relates to this?

addictfreak said:
The second however was a clear cut up, possibly a response to the abuse he had received.

So where is the abuse "causing" the second overtake?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well I'm pretty annoyed with your casual and careless dismissal, especially because it's so completely wrong. The second overtake was in progress, my reaction was a response to the driving as he was already next to me and had committed to the move. It's pretty obvious from the video given the narrow field of view.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
addictfreak said:
Last comment on this for me. It appeared to me that as the taxi was level, f off was heard then the taxi cut up the cyclist. No excuse whatsoever and I certainly wouldn't condone it

You appear to be reading things into this which didnt happen. :laugh: Its on video and its quite clear.

You also have to bear in mind the wide angle lens distortion that takes place with these cameras. My HQ2 has a similar angle of view as Mikey's cam and I uploaded some examples of how the distances distort as a gauge. What may seem to be distant can actually be quite close, and the camera will often miss out the angle of approach from the side.

BentMikey said:
Well I'm pretty annoyed with your casual and careless dismissal, especially because it's so completely wrong. The second overtake was in progress, my reaction was a response to the driving as he was already next to me and had committed to the move. It's pretty obvious from the video given the narrow field of view.

Will it was nearly my last comment;).

I have never dismissed the cut up, its clear for all to see. And i dont condone it as you seem to suggest.

What is funny however is the fact you know seem to accept the use of the f word, dispite an initial denial.

I often interact with careless or inconsiderate drivers, when I do i make sure im ready for there response.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There was never a denial - you're twisting my words, and being dishonest, all to avoid retracting your wrong comments.

You said I gave abuse, which caused the cabby to make that overtake. You lied - there was no abuse until after the second overtake. Apology accepted.

Top Bottom