Cabbie runs a red light...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
BentMikey said:
... All I said at the first traffic lights was "too close mate", and held up thumb and forefinger to show an inch of space.
Perhaps he assumed you were referring to the size of his manhood:smile:

Weegie

BentMikey said:
I thought this one was pretty amusing...

Good grief, you're shifting on that thing. What speed are you doing around 1:10? The taxi driver probably sh*t himself when he saw you hammering towards him. Quite amusing :biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
stowie said:
That and the fact that black cabbies rack up a very serious mileage in all conditions on London streets so they are more aware of cyclists and other roadusers. Also they tend to know where they are going - you rarely see a black cab dithering in the road whilst trying to read an A-Z upside-down.

Generally true. However, black cabs come into close contact with many cyclists as they can use bus lanes. This can skew your perception as to the proportionate number of incidents.

That said, it is in bus lanes in the rush hour where I find black cab driving standards to be at their lowest. I've complained to the PCO about this, suggesting guidance/best practice for HCs re: bus lane etiquette, but to no avail.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
I've complained to the PCO about this, suggesting guidance/best practice for HCs re: bus lane etiquette, but to no avail.

Looks like things might be changing:

Mayor's questions

*Question No: 2687 / 2009*
Jenny Jones
Will you ask your new director of the Public Carriage Office to review the policy whereby members of the public are unable to make complaints against the behaviour and driving standards of black cab drivers unless they are either paying passengers, or have a criminal complaint which they take to the police?

*Answer from the Mayor:*

TfL’s Taxi and Private Hire Directorate always accepts complaints about the behaviour of taxi and private hire vehicle drivers from any member of the public, whether they are using the taxi or private hire vehicle or not. However it can sometimes be difficult to pursue complaints when there has been no breach of regulations or when it is a minor driving matter that it is not in the public interest for the police to prosecute. Nevertheless, a review of the complaints policy and how it is applied forms part of the general examination initiated by John Mason, the new Director for Taxi and Private Hire, of driver licensing services and is scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.

jmaccyd

Origamist said:
Looks like things might be changing:

Mayor's questions

*Question No: 2687 / 2009*
Jenny Jones
Will you ask your new director of the Public Carriage Office to review the policy whereby members of the public are unable to make complaints against the behaviour and driving standards of black cab drivers unless they are either paying passengers, or have a criminal complaint which they take to the police?

*Answer from the Mayor:*

TfL’s Taxi and Private Hire Directorate always accepts complaints about the behaviour of taxi and private hire vehicle drivers from any member of the public, whether they are using the taxi or private hire vehicle or not. However it can sometimes be difficult to pursue complaints when there has been no breach of regulations or when it is a minor driving matter that it is not in the public interest for the police to prosecute. Nevertheless, a review of the complaints policy and how it is applied forms part of the general examination initiated by John Mason, the new Director for Taxi and Private Hire, of driver licensing services and is scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.

Quite - and the point that I have been banging on about for ages. The PCO now reports to TFL and then to the Mayor, you want changes I would suggest the directly electable head of the pile would be the place to go. After all he has been known to throw a leg over a bike

Origamist

Legendary Member
jmaccyd said:
Quite - and the point that I have been banging on about for ages. The PCO now reports to TFL and then to the Mayor, you want changes I would suggest the directly electable head of the pile would be the place to go. After all he has been known to throw a leg over a bike

The mayor's also been known to spend quite a lot of time and money in Hackney Carriages...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...ns-taxi-bill-is-eight-times-more-than-kens.do

If you address a complaint to Bozzer in the first instance, his PA just delegates it to an officer jnr in the relevant dept - usually someone adept at cutting and pasting TFL speak. You need to escalate a complaint if you're unsatisfied with the response, preferably at higher level and/or get FOI on their ass...

Origamist

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
That said, it is in bus lanes in the rush hour where I find black cab driving standards to be at their lowest. I've complained to the PCO about this, suggesting guidance/best practice for HCs re: bus lane etiquette, but to no avail.

Wow, I've just found this thanks to the CTC email today.

It looks like my (and many others') campaigning efforts with the PCO and TFL were not falling on deaf ears. Look what is in this recently released action plan. I'm really pleased as it's a promising start.

Cycle Safety Action Plan Action for safer cycling
October 2009

"Moving forward, TfL intends to consult on the need for taxi and private hire drivers to demonstrate „additional skills‟. These skills will include „safer driving‟ – a component of which will be safety when driving near cyclists. "

P.11
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/cycle-safety-action-plan-draft.pdf

Hopefully, we'll see less of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbCwe73Cb0

Get well soon, Ben.

Ok.Just joshing I was in a silly mood last night.No booze though.:wacko:

I remember posting that but probably not needed.

Does get a bit tiresome though,that's all I saw on the commute back tonight.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Origamist said:
"Moving forward, TfL intends to consult on the need for taxi and private hire drivers to demonstrate „additional skills‟. These skills will include „safer driving‟ – a component of which will be safety when driving near cyclists. "

Why do they need 'additional skills' to drive near cyclists (and other vulnerable road users come to think of it), that should be a permenant prerequisite for driving anyway, shouldn't it?

Top Bottom