Cadence, Speed and hill climbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
B&Y is correct, despite his atrocious level of communication ability :biggrin:

Terminology and semantics are getting in the way a bit as well and the key is the difference between strength and power output. Strength will tend to vary as a by product of whatver activity and training you choose to do. But, as B&Y so eloquently points out, the inherent strength most of us possess, that enables us to walk/ climb stairs, run, etc...has a maximal effort capacity far in excess of anything you would put into a single turn of the pedals under general cycling conditions.

Perhaps a better example than stair climbing would be lifting weights. I could walk into the garage now and press 100lbs with relative ease. If I wanted to do so 50 times in a row I would need to factor in recovery time. By training I could reduce the amount of recovery time required, any strength improvement would be a by product but it wouldn't be a requirement.

PK99

Legendary Member
Perhaps a better example than stair climbing would be lifting weights. I could walk into the garage now and press 100lbs with relative ease. If I wanted to do so 50 times in a row I would need to factor in recovery time. By training I could reduce the amount of recovery time required, any strength improvement would be a by product but it wouldn't be a requirement.

And if you pressed 50 lbs 100 times you would do it with ease without recovery time

Not if you think about it, if you walk up the steps you might climb two steps a second, the equivalent of 1 rpm on the bike and with each step (single pedal stroke) you are lifting your entire body weight vertically.

But on some climbs, especially off road and with a single speed you will be pushing down through the pedals in excess of one's body mass. i.e. more power than required to climb one step (and more strength).

\
Terminology and semantics are getting in the way a bit as well and the key is the difference between strength and power output. Strength will tend to vary as a by product of whatver activity and training you choose to do. But, as B&Y so eloquently points out, the inherent strength most of us possess, that enables us to walk/ climb stairs, run, etc...has a maximal effort capacity far in excess of anything you would put into a single turn of the pedals under general cycling conditions.
\.

For general cycling maybe stair climbing strength is sufficient. But the extremes of riding will exceed the strength needs for stair climbing.

But on some climbs, especially off road and with a single speed you will be pushing down through the pedals in excess of one's body mass. i.e. more power than required to climb one step (and more strength).
Your not thinking about it, even on your 33% gradient the rise is only 4" every 1' set of stairs is nearer 100%+

I can't believe that you are still not getting this - you now seem to have forgotten everything you were agreeing to on the earlier pages? I keep telling you - the 'stair' thing is an ANALOGY (look it up). It is not intended to be used as an actual physical measure or comparison. The fact that you cant ride your single speed up a mountain simply means you are not fit enough to do it - or you have gone beyond your aerobic capacity into anaerobic territory. Either way, it's not a strength issue.

For general cycling maybe stair climbing strength is sufficient. But the extremes of riding will exceed the strength needs for stair climbing.

Your leg strength is not a limiter in aerobic cycling. Remember, we are talking about aerobic cycling here - not sprinting, or your strange obsession with riding single speeds beyond your own capability. Seriously, we've already had this discussion.

antonypo

Regular
This is just the discussion i'm interested in. I am a novice who cycles as fast as i can 24.5 miles every other day. I have improved from 16 ish miles per hour average to almost 18 BUT have now plateaued. I am about 1st over weight but lost nearly 2. In your opinion am I at this level now unless i up the miles or will it improve if i stick at it? I cant really fit in any more miles as i work shift etc. At 50 am i reasonably fit as plenty of people pass me? p.s. I HATE THE BLOODY WIND!

This is just the discussion i'm interested in. I am a novice who cycles as fast as i can 24.5 miles every other day. I have improved from 16 ish miles per hour average to almost 18 BUT have now plateaued. I am about 1st over weight but lost nearly 2. In your opinion am I at this level now unless i up the miles or will it improve if i stick at it? I cant really fit in any more miles as i work shift etc. At 50 am i reasonably fit as plenty of people pass me? p.s. I HATE THE BLOODY WIND!

Depends what your goals are. If your goal is weight loss, then you need to look at your diet - weight loss will improve your power/weight ratio anyway. If your goal is outright speed over a fixed distance (ie 24.5 miles) then adding some HIIT and some longer steadier rides into the mix would probably help. But if all you do is go out and try and hit a 'PB' every ride, you will end up frustrated.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
High Intensity Interval Training, i.e. Intervals with an effort above your current sustainable limit, with a brief rolling rest between them.

Want to gain hill climbing strength?
Chuck the lightweight bike in the shed, pull out an old low-tech heavy mountain bike out and go ride up a
random track.
Plenty of chances for high intensity interval training, plus you get to lift the bike high over your head whilst
climbing over styles, etc. (A bit of free weight training).

Get over the fact you'd be knackered after "only" doing 30 miles in a whole day, you've probably
put in a harder effort than if you'd done 100 miles on a lightweight roady on tarmac!!

PK99

Legendary Member
Want to gain hill climbing strength?
Chuck the lightweight bike in the shed, pull out an old low-tech heavy mountain bike out and go ride up a
random track.
Plenty of chances for high intensity interval training, plus you get to lift the bike high over your head whilst
climbing over styles, etc. (A bit of free weight training).

Get over the fact you'd be knackered after "only" doing 30 miles in a whole day, you've probably
put in a harder effort than if you'd done 100 miles on a lightweight roady on tarmac!!

Alternatively, on a road bike - find a hill, ride up -roll down > repeat till knackered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom