Cafe becoming political drop shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunately, there are a small, core group of posters that don't so much 'discuss' as campaign, and they spoil it for others.
more than that, one or two - like the populist warmongers and rabble-rousers they condemn - seek an endless supply of enemies/imaginary enemies to maintain their apparent popularity and wave of likes - in short supply over in the pond at the mo I think.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Retirement thread should be moved - one particular poster has complained about the NHS and regularly rants about illegal immigrants arriving on the beaches of southern England.

I didn't realise there was that much life left in the coffin dodgers in there.

They should stick to talking fondly about the grandchildren while sucking their Werther's Originals.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
yes - move the thread to the new NACA, its already been modded once, that means it should be moved.....until people learn that this site no longer allows political chit chat.

Shaun has been nice enough to build a new NACA, use it or lose it......
That seems fair enough to me - and also a good candidate for a banning policy: one strike, perhaps two, and you're out.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Politics and life cannot be separated.

To pretend that issues are not political is itself a political act.

Cycling in particular is a highly political arena, with direct (infrastructure, cycle to work scheme), indirect (impact of supply chain on prices and availability, minority representation), and tangentially relevant (countryside policy) issues all political hot potatoes.

So the "no politics" policy (see what I did there?) is doomed to be immediately a failure, paradoxically moreso if it's a success.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Politics and life cannot be separated.

To pretend that issues are not political is itself a political act.

Cycling in particular is a highly political arena, with direct (infrastructure, cycle to work scheme), indirect (impact of supply chain on prices and availability, minority representation), and tangentially relevant (countryside policy) issues all political hot potatoes.

So the "no politics" policy (see what I did there?) is doomed to be immediately a failure, paradoxically moreso if it's a success.
building bikes isnt political, posting pictures of rides isnt political, posting questions on cycling isnt political, there are many things in cycling that arent political.....people just choose to make them so and if thats the case, they can go here https://naca.cyclechat.net/

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I'd like to know why clearly political subjects are still in the cafe when they now have their very own section where you can rant to your hearts content.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I didn't realise there was that much life left in the coffin dodgers in there.

They should stick to talking fondly about the grandchildren while sucking their Werther's Originals.
The difference is that we know how to behave. We've all 'been there - done that'.
As far as I'm aware the Retirement thread has never descended into mud slinging or had to be moderated. Must be some kind of record for a 5000+ page thread on any forum.
Oh and BTW - I don't have any kids and I don't like Werther's. :laugh:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I disagree, for the reasons given above.

I'm sure we can disagree amicably.
which parts do you disagree with.....are you saying posting bike pictures is political?? building bikes is political??

i'm not normally confused, but this one does confuse me

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The difference is that we know how to behave. We've all 'been there - done that'.
As far as I'm aware the Retirement thread has never descended into mud slinging or had to be moderated. Must be some kind of record for a 5000+ page thread on any forum.
Oh and BTW - I don't have any kids and I don't like Werther's. :laugh:
Off with his head. How dare you not like werthers. If I had known that I would have given you a sound beating.

mustang1

Guru
Blxxdy heck. Will someone tell me what naca means? I've seen that used lately. A new buzzword? I googled it which said nasa aeronautics committee or some such. Oh, what's that other thing? "Woke". A person is woke. What? Like they're awake, as if they have found something new. Meh. whatever. Yes you're right, this is getting political. BTW the other day I heard of "cancel" like someone is canceled (and I have to get used to just having one L instead of two, life just does not seem right). Like, you are canceled. WTH? I think it's just like a big Ignore button. Whatev'z.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Blxxdy heck. Will someone tell me what naca means? I've seen that used lately. A new buzzword? I googled it which said nasa aeronautics committee or some such. Oh, what's that other thing? "Woke". A person is woke. What? Like they're awake, as if they have found something new. Meh. whatever. Yes you're right, this is getting political. BTW the other day I heard of "cancel" like someone is canceled (and I have to get used to just having one L instead of two, life just does not seem right). Like, you are canceled. WTH? I think it's just like a big Ignore button. Whatev'z.
Matron! he's out of bed again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom