Cafe becoming political drop shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think it's the not so subtle difference between a topic having some 'political' element which most posters can discuss with an open mind, and a small group of posters that have a very 'Party Political' angle on topics.

People often regard their own opinions as "not party political" whereas others regard the very same opinions as "highly party political".

This applies, I hasten to add, to people of *all* persuasions.

Thus "it's just common sense" = "naked prejudice", or "it's obviously a common good" = "marxism"

Drago

Legendary Member
I think its party politcs that is the issue, the juvenile, blindly partisan behaviours that goes along with it.

Stuff like "oh, I see the shelves are empty of croissants because Boris called Macron a wuss" is a simple observation of facts.

Whereas, "thanks to that lying Tory scumbag and his nazi mates we're now having to eat cornflakes, which were the favourite breakfast of Nigel Farage before he started eating kittens, and you're a prat for voting for him..." is simply fatuous political diatribe, and is rightly banished to the Phamtom Zone.

Most people on here can tell the difference. A small number can't. We should pity them, because it really is rather sad, but I'm sure theyll get all the help they deserve over in the Phantom Zone.

roubaixtuesday

I might want to discuss the empty shelves in my local supermarket and ask if it's the same in other areas or have people suggest which supermarkets seem to be less affected, etc, but not let it descend into saying it's all because of that awful Tory government or whatever.

The supply industry universally regards empty shelves as a direct consequence of Brexit. That's a fact.

Banning the mention Brexit in connection to this is thereby a highly political act.

There's no way around this.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Politics is in all facets of life, it's inevitable that even cafe subjects will become a little political at times. To me that's not the issue.
Where we have had problems in the last year has boiled down to the egregious behaviour of just a few posters. Sniping with personal digs to garner likes, sneering at someone else's point of view, repetitive soap box preaching to hammer others into submission.

Jowwy is right that something from the seperate NACA forum is seeping back into the cafe, but from spotting a few posts this morning I'd suggest it's the behaviour that's the issue rather than the content. The content is niether here nor there if people are being respectful.

We need more of this kind of attitude, if this was the pervading view we could discuss whatever we wanted without the toxic bilge spoiling it.
I'm sure we can disagree amicably.

Address the behaviour, not the content.

People often regard their own opinions as "not party political" whereas others regard the very same opinions as "highly party political".

This applies, I hasten to add, to people of *all* persuasions.

Thus "it's just common sense" = "naked prejudice", or "it's obviously a common good" = "marxism"

I reckon most people's opinions on some topics, will fit with a totally different political persuasion to their view on a different topic, so it's not always possible to determine their allegiance, so it's probably more polite to accept the claim that someone has no political leaning, and focus on the subject matter, rather than what colour rosette you presume they're wearing.

This, and other threads show that most people understand the nuance. It seems to be the politically minded that are uncomfortable with not being able to soap-box their flavour.

Drago

Legendary Member
I reckon most people's opinions on some topics, will fit with a totally different political persuasion to their view on a different topic, so it's not always possible to determine their allegiance, so it's probably more polite to accept the claim that someone has no political leaning, and focus on the subject matter, rather than what colour rosette you presume they're wearing.

This, and other threads show that most people understand the nuance. It seems to be the politically minded that are uncomfortable with not being able to soap-box their flavour.
^^^ Lining up for a second term in office!

Politics is in all facets of life, it's inevitable that even cafe subjects will become a little political at times. To me that's not the issue.
Where we have had problems in the last year has boiled down to the egregious behaviour of just a few posters. Sniping with personal digs to garner likes, sneering at someone else's point of view, repetitive soap box preaching to hammer others into submission.
+ several.

PK99

Legendary Member
The supply industry universally regards empty shelves as a direct consequence of Brexit. That's a fact.

Is it a fact?

article 19 Sept 2021
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/the-real-causes-of-the-hgv-driver-shortage-and-why-we-cant-blame-it-all-on-brexit/659841.article

Is it a new issue in UK or EU? - (from 2018)

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spreading-across-the-whole-of-europe

See how difficult it is to keep these things separate?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Is it a fact?

article 19 Sept 2021
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/the-real-causes-of-the-hgv-driver-shortage-and-why-we-cant-blame-it-all-on-brexit/659841.article

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spreading-across-the-whole-of-europe

its not difficult if you dont reply to it in the first place.......by replying your allowing the thread to turn political.

Just answer with No Political posts please, its really that simple....what you have done is addressed the content and not the behaviour

roubaixtuesday

Is it a fact?

article 19 Sept 2021

I think we (and the others who have replied) should probably leave the specifics of this issue at that, given the rulz. But i think you've proved the point that politics and life are inseparable quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom