Cafe becoming political drop shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think we (and the others who have replied) should probably leave the specifics of this issue at that, given the rulz. But i think you've proved the point that politics and life are inseparable quite nicely.

You keep on mentioning politics, but NACA stands for News and Current Affairs.

If categories are to be enforced, anything with a news or current affairs angle should go in the new NACA.

Shortages is clearly news, there is no need to go into some fine argument about whether politics comes into it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You keep on mentioning politics, but NACA stands for News and Current Affairs.

If categories are to be enforced, anything with a news or current affairs angle should go in the new NACA.

Shortages is clearly news, there is no need to go into some fine argument about whether politics comes into it.

I agree. Pretty much anything topical belongs in the new NACA according to the rulz.

I think we (and the others who have replied) should probably leave the specifics of this issue at that, given the rulz. But i think you've proved the point that politics and life are inseparable quite nicely.

But 'Party' Politics are separate to discussing the nuts and bolts of topics themselves and the way that people living in groups make decisions. Too many seem stuck in soap boxing their often divisive party political mode, on what is a general discussion forum.

That can often lead to unintended (or perhaps intended) insults toward others, often due to trying to apply labels or pigeon hole people, which is irrelevant if the true aim is an open discussion of the issue.

As can be seen, most people can see the difference, and perhaps others don't want to.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Would it be too much to expect that a bit of common sense be used to differentiate between "news and current affairs" topics which might be contentious enough to result in a predictable bun fight, and those that SHOULD be able to be discussed in a sensible manner? e.g. Emma Raducanu is news, and should have been safe territory, but was turned into yet another political platform. That's when the mods need to step in...

The problem is, IMHO, that a very small number of regular posters are hell bent on using this forum to promote their somewhat extreme views on the rest of us, because we NEED to be told, repeatedly, that we are not sufficiently aware of certain issues. That may well be the case, but a wee cycling forum in a corner of the internet is not the place to be showboating it. You're not reaching much of an audience, for starters.

We have been asked several times over the years to tone down the political side of the posts, but it always reverts back to type, no matter what. The latest idea of a separate site seems to be the last chance saloon. If we want the CC side to survive, I suggest we do what we are asked before the plug is pulled on the whole thing. Which may well be the ultimate aim of one or two twisted individuals. Again, IMHO..

Edit to remove unintentional double negative!

Last edited:
Would it be too much to expect that a bit of common sense be used to differentiate between "news and current affairs" topics which might not be contentious enough to result in a predictable bun fight, and those that SHOULD be able to be discussed in a sensible manner? e.g. Emma Raducanu should have been safe territory, but was turned into yet another political platform. That's when the mods need to step in...

The problem is, IMHO, that a very small number of regular posters are hell bent on using this forum to promote their somewhat extreme views on the rest of us, because we NEED to be told, repeatedly, that we are not sufficiently aware of certain issues. That may well be the case, but a wee cycling forum in a corner of the internet is not the place to be showboating it. You're not reaching much of an audience, for starters.
Well exactly! The Emma Raducanu "moment" just made me laugh, it was such a classic demonstration of this behaviour :laugh:

(I know I've mentioned it before, but Clare in The Community is a great illustration of someone with all the right progressive views, but a total lack of perspective. Well worth a read/listen 👍 )

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
their somewhat extreme views

What is, or is not extreme, is a highly subjective and political topic, of course.

I have common sense, we are moderate, they are extreme.

FWIW I don't think I've come across anyone much with extreme views on here. Contentious, absolutely.

I think I would just refer you to what I said above.

You may write things which I feel are strongly political, when you don't think they are, and vice-versa.

I'm not sure if you're just pushing for a disagreement, but I would refer you to my previous posts where I point out the difference between (small p) political, with Party Political.

As mentioned, most people on this thread seem more than capable of seeing this, and tired of the party political soap-boxing.

We very much do disagree, I think.

That's OK.

Ah, so it was simply an argument you were after, so I'll leave you to it.

At the end of the day, the posters on this thread and mods seem to be able to understand the difference between the large and small P, so I'll leave you to wonder, or for someone else to explain it to you. :hello:

PK99

Legendary Member
I've always thought of Cafe as being the direct analogy of "Cafe Stop" on a mixed group ride.

In my experience, conversation at Cafe Stops ranges through bikes, family, news, jokes etc.
Anyone getting overtly or ranty Party Political is ignored and the group conversation rolls on. No one insults anyone and no one falls out. If they do the ride starts again.

The real world conventions of behaviour break down here in CyberWorld.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On the current cafe front page there are only three or four threads which are nailed on news/naca/politics, whatever you want to call it.

Not sure about obits.

I don't read enough to know if other threads are infected, but it wouldn't take many threads to be moved to the NACA's yard to clean up the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom