Calf cramps & eating while cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
I just completed my second big bike ride (50 miles today, pretty much non stop in 3 and half hours), 40 miles in my left calf cramped up big time, had to stop and try stretch it or massage it but it hurt!! its still feels cramped up now. I had a very similar problem when I did a 70 mile ride a few months ago.

Dose any one else have the same problem if so how would I stop myself from getting cramps. I usually take a two bottles with me when I ride long distance (although i very rarely do ride more than about 25 ish miles in one sitting) one bottle will have very thin mix of robinsons squash and a pinch of salt and the other just water. I've been told the squash with added salt helps reduces cramps, but it dosen't seem to work for me.

Dose anyone else have any ideas,of how I can stop this?

Also today I didn't want to stop, I just wanted to do the full 50 without breaks. Part way through I felt a bit hungary, so I ate two ceral bars whilst riding (of course I didn't litter in the process, the rubbish went in my pocket). Do cyclists other eat while riding? They were just pain normal ceral bars nothing cyclying or sport specific like gels or anything like that. It felt strange doing it but I was determined not to stop so I did it anyways. but it got me woundering if I could get any issues trying to digest food and cycle at the same time. Should I invest in some proper cyclying foods?? or will it only be real pros that would feel the benefit?

Top Bottom