Calling all model kit fans - she's finally done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finished the diorama , now to start making the interesting parts and making a second one of an interior of a garage , maybe with ramp , engine hoist and large toolbox .

It's a novel way of displaying a not so perfect model (1:18 scale )

Seriously we would rather be out triking, but we will do that in the other 3 seasons of the year
:laugh::becool::laugh: View attachment 494875

View attachment 494876

View attachment 494877

View attachment 494878

View attachment 494879

regards emma .

Very neat model making. I like the variety of wall materials without it becoming overpowering. Did you do the woodwork as well?

Hi Andy , the corner shelf and 2 sides were made from offcuts , the sides and floor covered in dolls house wall paper with additions . Next stage is the "other detail" to create an interesting corner shelf display.

A little piece of history about this scene was an old friend of mine had a small ( 6 car ) lock-up in hove formally a stable and this scene was reproduced with a bit of poetic licence ( a large slice of it ) .
There were always a few Mkll Jaguars and the odd "E" type on the forecourt.

Last edited:
I’ve ben working on a silly steam powered mono-wheel because it’s as complex a job as my cold-filled head could handle this week.

mw_54.jpg

I would be the first to admit I probably over did the pipes department here.

I’m guessing the long thin hoses are an advanced control system from the driver, as are the thicker connections to the cannons, which are apparently some kind of fiendish energy weapon, but that doesn’t excuse the mass of pipes infesting the boiler area, nor answer the question that if this is a steam powered vehicle, how do you stoke the fire?

This assumes of course that it would stay upright when you started it, which is… unlikely.

Of course, all of these considerations are secondary, the main question is “What colour should it be?”. Let’s keep our priorities straight.

Originally I thought in terms of military style colours, but lately I’ve been getting ideas, possibly because of looking at things like the Maximilian 1934 games.

mw_53.jpg

For those who aren’t familiar with the Pulp Alley/Maximilian 1934 tabletop game genre it starts at about slightly bonkers and works up from there, so I’ve got a lot of “creative freedom”. Aside from the military option, current ideas are for a ‘1934’ racing car, or possibly a pursuit vehicle for a seriously “zero tolerance” police force.

Any thoughts?

stephec

Legendary Member
I bought this a while back and finally got round to having a good look at it today, a foot wide box for a 1/72 Spitfire!

And look at the size of that PE.

It's back in the stash for now though as I've just started a Tamiya 1/35 Bren Gun Carrier, and an Italieri 1/35 Sherman, which is so badly fitting in places that it was almost tap danced all over this afternoon.

stephec

Legendary Member
Oh, very nicely done indeed.
Thanks Andy, I've always thought that AFVs look better weathered so watched a bit of YouTube, and it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

One thing I'm not happy with though are the rubber band tracks, you can see that they're pulling the front road wheels up off the horizontal, aftermarket metal tracks next time I think.

This is more of a I've finally got round to doing something on this kit thread !
I bought this Matchbox / Revell 1/72 kit of a Flower Class Corvette at an auction a few years ago . It had been started by a previous owner. I was happy as I didn't pay much for it .
I thought that I would start off by painting the hull so that I could fit all the portholes with clear plastic . I intend to radio control the model, It's how the previous owner had prepared it, there's a prop shaft fitted.
I've decided to make the ship as a British one and not of the two in the kit . I've decided to make it as HMS Clematis in blue and white colour scheme. It should look quite pretty .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In the Bond movie The Spy Who Loved Me, the famous ski-jump stunt almost never got caught on camera. They apparently had four cameras on it, one failed, one missed completely, one got it partly but one managed to track him all the way down.

There's the story of Cecil B de Mille filming a huge railway engine crash. Obviously there was only going to be one take so be one take so he had three separate cameras at varying distances from the crash. "Action!" is called and the trains duly crash. The nearest camera runs automatically and is unmanned due to the risk to the cameraman being too high, even back then. Unfortunately it's been destroyed in the explosion. The middle distance camera is checked; this one has an operator who has to admit that whilst he'd got the shot, a piece of debris had flown in a perfect parabola destroying the camera and more importantly ruining the film. The final camera is even further away, so De Mille has to use his megaphone to talk to the cameraman who replies "ready to roll Mr De Mille"

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
This is more of a I've finally got round to doing something on this kit thread !
I bought this Matchbox / Revell 1/72 kit of a Flower Class Corvette at an auction a few years ago . It had been started by a previous owner. I was happy as I didn't pay much for it .
I thought that I would start off by painting the hull so that I could fit all the portholes with clear plastic . I intend to radio control the model, It's how the previous owner had prepared it, there's a prop shaft fitted.
I've decided to make the ship as a British one and not of the two in the kit . I've decided to make it as HMS Clematis in blue and white colour scheme. It should look quite pretty . View attachment 562591
I keep seeing those for sale and one day my resistance will be too weak. 😊

I have just finished gluing in 42 clear plastic porthole windows in . I have discovered that it's best not to stick the front section of decking before this is done as it is very difficult to put two of the portholes in .
As this model is hopefully going to float a lot of the joints will have to be watertight. I have already sealed the joints in the hull with Tiger Seal but I will now have to seal all of the portholes from behind .
I dismantled an old hand held rechargable vacuum cleaner to remove the electric motor which I hope will be good enough to use in the boat. It has a voltage range of 1.5 to 10.8 volts . I have some old RC gear which I should be able to use .
The kit is provided with some very thin strips which are supposed to act as beams to stiffen the hull, these are very flimsy and I will add some extra wooden supports . It is slow bit suck it as see at the moment .

Top Bottom