Calling Any Bolton DIYers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrFixed

I've having a major issue with my bottom bracket. I've bought a 80s Raleigh with the intention of making it fixed gear but my bottom bracket is seized to buggery, and to add to the problem I've shattered the teeth on the non-British side.

If anyone could help me that would be brilliant.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do you mean bolt on Diyers??

OP
OP
MrFixed

MrFixed

I didn't mean to write non-British, I meant non-drive side.

I've shattered the splines on the bottom bracket on that side because it was so stiff. It's a sealed cartridge BB

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I didn't mean to write non-British, I meant non-drive side.

I've shattered the splines on the bottom bracket on that side because it was so stiff. It's a sealed cartridge BB
Hmm, that's a conundrum that I can't see the threads surviving intact. You did try to undo anti-clockwise and not inadvertently tighten?
Once you get it out and the threads do end up knackered, all is not lost as you can buy thread less bottom brackets. Good luck.

OP
OP
MrFixed

MrFixed

I've tried all sorts. I've got it booked into LeisureLakes in Bury on the 31st. I've got a week to try and do it myself otherwise it's an added expense that I didn't plan on having.

I was just seeing if there was any more competent home mechs with better tools about bolton that could help

Cumisky

I've tried all sorts. I've got it booked into LeisureLakes in Bury on the 31st. I've got a week to try and do it myself otherwise it's an added expense that I didn't plan on having.

I was just seeing if there was any more competent home mechs with better tools about bolton that could help

Why not take it up to Geoff Smith, he generally sorts the issues on my vintage bikes, and is very reasonable with prices too.

Last edited:

Lpoolck

Veteran
Can you not put the bottom bracket into a vice then use the frame to unscrew them from one another?

OP
OP
MrFixed

MrFixed

Why not take it up to Geoff Smith, he generally sorts the issues on my vintage bikes, and is very reasonable with prices too.

I've rang and spoke to him, but the he's closed for a while and won't be taking anymore work in just yet. Think he said he's closing for a week or so and I'm impatient haha.

Top Bottom