Cambridge cyclists some of the quickest in the country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
With Laura Massey, Lucy Gossage, Hayley Simmonds, and until recently Karla Boddy, all Cambridge residents, I'd expect them to have brought the Strava women's average speed up a bit.

Mmmmph, well I'm certainly lowering the average, working out at 10.5 mph, there or thereabouts LOL. Mind, a short plump lady on a 650c-shod bike isn't going to be the fastest combo anyways. :blush:

Out here north of Cambridge the roads are pretty flat for the most part. It's t'other side of Cambridge that's got all the hilly bits. On the other hand, when the wind blows out here there's nothing to stop it, and you can be pedalling for all you're worth and still end up going backwards... :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
Mmmmph, well I'm certainly lowering the average, working out at 10.5 mph, there or thereabouts LOL. Mind, a short plump lady on a 650c-shod bike isn't going to be the fastest combo anyways. :blush:

Out here north of Cambridge the roads are pretty flat for the most part. It's t'other side of Cambridge that's got all the hilly bits. On the other hand, when the wind blows out here there's nothing to stop it, and you can be pedalling for all you're worth and still end up going backwards... :laugh:
While I'm on the edge of Cambs, bordering Northants, any ride into the fens is a good workout. No cover, no hills...maybe an incline...and usually a relentless wind means a flat workout is exactly that...a workout, you never stop pedalling.

My averages are about 8mph but that's because I'm fat and forget to turn my app off when I go and buy flapjacks. Much kudos to my Cambridgeshire comrades.

GOAB
I'm guessing you don't use Strava, but if you do you will see Strava removes all the stops when you upload, so we are seeing the moving average of Cambridgeshire cyclists, flapjack breaks omitted.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I'm guessing you don't use Strava, but if you do you will see Strava removes all the stops when you upload, so we are seeing the moving average of Cambridgeshire cyclists, flapjack breaks omitted.

I don't use Strava but I can pause the ride when needed and then resume. The only issue is that I often forget to do this. The other day I stopped at a seaside cafe for a flapjack and cappuccino and had a bit of a flirt with the girl behind the counter. This resulted in two negatives, I didn't pause the app so my timings got messed up and I didn't stop my camera so I had to view the footage back in all its cringey glory.

GOAB

Top Bottom