Cambridge full English breakfast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Good value for money it certainly is.

yoda-advice-featured-1-1024x576.jpg

si_c

Guru
Spoons breakfast is excellent. The one near to us is always heaving, full of families as well as the regulars on a saturday morning (it's in a bit of a rough area, so there is the usual group of daily 9am drinkers). Food is consistent, and freshly cooked - except things like hash browns and beans which I presume are kept warm.

They are generally so busy though for breakfast that I don't think things are kept hanging around long at all.

We often go to other places, "nice" places, but we always go back to spoons.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Spoons breakfast is excellent. The one near to us is always heaving, full of families as well as the regulars on a saturday morning (it's in a bit of a rough area, so there is the usual group of daily 9am drinkers). Food is consistent, and freshly cooked - except things like hash browns and beans which I presume are kept warm.

They are generally so busy though for breakfast that I don't think things are kept hanging around long at all.

We often go to other places, "nice" places, but we always go back to spoons.
I've met some very pleasant 9am drinkers at pubs along the south coast. I ought to go to meet them more often.

I can't believe that anyone who knows about the existence of Wetherspoons, and what to expect there, would actually be asking for recommendations for somewhere to eat in a named destination. Come on, who on earth would come all the way to the UK to eat out in Wetherspoons? (Apart from those saddos who think a pie in a tin is real food.)
Steve is British I believe.
And maybe he's down to earth and not a snob.
He's after a breakfast I believe, not a gastronomic orgasm with fine linen.
I've had the breakfast in the Cambridge spoons at least twice - connected with picking up a bike.
Once rode London to Cambridge through the night, checked out bike, to the spoons (nice old cinema building) good breakfast, two pints of fine British beer and rode back.
Later bussed it to Cambridge, returned to spoons for yet another breakfast and another couple of different fine British beers, and rode the purchased bike back to London. So nice memories.
The spoons in Huntingdon is quite nice as well - another good breakfast there (as lunch) on another bike trip on the self same bike, a fine couple of pints of a strong dark British beer and a very pleasant conversation with two of the regulars.
In short, I commend it.
If steve ends up anywhere in north London's metroland I can also recommend another fine spoons. Listed building.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip User9609 - really like Whitby - may pop in if that way - the north London metroland place is also a hotel.

Really nice building, good pub (though strangely, on the day I was there, despite kind of three bars and a vast array of pumps, none of the beers really grabbed me - quite unusual for a spoons), interesting piece of social history if you know anything of London, spoons normal interesting selection of wall pics and illustrations with potted local history - some of them in this one on Polish fighter pilots from WW2.

The Greenwood Hotel

Has it's own stage.

And tables you can play snakes and ladders on :smile:

And its own Sheffield bike stands under a nice canopy.

And several electric car hook-ups in the car park.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/london/the-greenwood-hotel-northolt

Quite close to the Grand Union canal, which you can ride all the way into central London on.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Steve is British I believe.
And maybe he's down to earth and not a snob.
He's after a breakfast I believe, not a gastronomic orgasm with fine linen.
I've had the breakfast in the Cambridge spoons at least twice - connected with picking up a bike.
Once rode London to Cambridge through the night, checked out bike, to the spoons (nice old cinema building) good breakfast, two pints of fine British beer and rode back.
Later bussed it to Cambridge, returned to spoons for yet another breakfast and another couple of different fine British beers, and rode the purchased bike back to London. So nice memories.
The spoons in Huntingdon is quite nice as well - another good breakfast there (as lunch) on another bike trip on the self same bike, a fine couple of pints of a strong dark British beer and a very pleasant conversation with two of the regulars.
In short, I commend it.
If steve ends up anywhere in north London's metroland I can also recommend another fine spoons. Listed building.
I would imagine that the point was not that 'Spoons doesn't have a niche or a purpose, but that it's odd as a place-specific breakfast recommendation, unless you are talking to someone who is unaware of its existence. I'm partial to a sausage and egg mcmuffin myself, but I wouldn't respond to the OP with a list of locations of Cambridge Maccy Ds...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I would imagine that the point was not that 'Spoons doesn't have a niche or a purpose, but that it's odd as a place-specific breakfast recommendation, unless you are talking to someone who is unaware of its existence. I'm partial to a sausage and egg mcmuffin myself, but I wouldn't respond to the OP with a list of locations of Cambridge Maccy Ds...
:eek:

See above re tone of criticism of the places.

My comment stands.

Anyway, op sorted.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've met some very pleasant 9am drinkers at pubs along the south coast. I ought to go to meet them more often.
9am is lunchtime drinking to some in Basingstoke. Spoons used to open early ( about 7am I think) so one day Mrs W and I went for an earlyish brekkie at about 7.30. When we turned up there were a couple of old sorts just finishing a pint of Stella and were ordering their next! The place was almost empty and we had a very nice quiet Farmhouse brekkie (sans alcohol of course).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
9am is lunchtime drinking to some in Basingstoke. Spoons used to open early ( about 7am I think) so one day Mrs W and I went for an earlyish brekkie at about 7.30. When we turned up there were a couple of old sorts just finishing a pint of Stella and were ordering their next! The place was almost empty and we had a very nice quiet Farmhouse brekkie (sans alcohol of course).
Thanks for the Top Tip! I'll try and get Basingstoke added to my ride list.

I didn't think they could serve alcohol that early, even though some, particularly ones with botels, do as you say open at 7. My local opens at 8 but unless I'm mistaken won't serve alcohol until 9.

Confession _ had a spoons breakfast today with two pints - very nice single hop and a good plum porter. In my defence it was a breakfast as lunch, taking a break between london open house events. Old cinema building. Short chat with a chap on next table who told me he was a not for profit ticket tout. I think he was.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Thanks for the Top Tip! I'll try and get Basingstoke added to my ride list.
My pleasure let me know when and I'll join you!

I didn't think they could serve alcohol that early, even though some, particularly ones with botels, do as you say open at 7. My local opens at 8 but unless I'm mistaken won't serve alcohol until 9.

Confession _ had a spoons breakfast today with two pints - very nice single hop and a good plum porter. In my defence it was a breakfast as lunch, taking a break between london open house events. Old cinema building. Short chat with a chap on next table who told me he was a not for profit ticket tout. I think he was.

Think this was when the 24 hour opening was happening, maybe the rules have changed since. One of the things I use to look forward to on hols abroad with a really early flight was going into Spoons at Gatwick and having a pint with my breakfast at stupid o'clock in the morning, felt very naughty and decadent.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do they actually cook anything at Wetherspoons? Food arrives too quickly to have been anything other than heated up, it seems.

Fairly certain that's what happens. Funnily enough, my last few visits to said emporiums have not been all that successful. The last was a mildly warm breakfast (it was complained about).

Top Bottom