Cambridge full English breakfast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Washed down with a pot of Quaker Oat-so-simple.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I can't believe that anyone who knows about the existence of Wetherspoons, and what to expect there, would actually be asking for recommendations for somewhere to eat in a named destination. Come on, who on earth would come all the way to the UK to eat out in Wetherspoons? (Apart from those saddos who think a pie in a tin is real food.)

it sinks my heart when this is announced as the destination.

[QUOTE 5390289, member: 9609"]now there's a thought - we were planning a trip to london to go to the natural history museum (always wanted to go there) how practicable would it be to stay somewhere like Northolt and travel the 10 mile into the centre - is that just a ridiculous thought or would it be a simple journey (I guess we would be getting train into Kings Cross) and would Northolt be a safe area to be in ?
with being so impressed with the weathspoons in whitby I would risk another. I have heard of people staying in central london and getting rooms without windows - don't fancy that at all.[/QUOTE]
Safe, no windows? I do sometimes wonder about you. There are loads of hotels in London and deals. You could stay much more centrally but not the centre and use public transport real easy and your travel costs are capped now, so no matter how much you use buses and trains, it won't cost more than £6.80 I think. I doubt you can do that from further out. Just use a Premier Inn or look at one of the hotel sites. I recently stayed in a 5* hotel by Tower bridge for about £65. Swimming pool, sauna, air con and oh yes, a window.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5390289, member: 9609"]now there's a thought - we were planning a trip to london to go to the natural history museum (always wanted to go there) how practicable would it be to stay somewhere like Northolt and travel the 10 mile into the centre - is that just a ridiculous thought or would it be a simple journey (I guess we would be getting train into Kings Cross) and would Northolt be a safe area to be in ?
with being so impressed with the weathspoons in whitby I would risk another. I have heard of people staying in central london and getting rooms without windows - don't fancy that at all.[/QUOTE]

Go for, you will I hope enjoy it as much as I do. Even got a wonder around there one night when it was closed and just the security lights on, awesome.

Not sure what you mean by the safe bit.
Safe, no windows? I do sometimes wonder about you. There are loads of hotels in London and deals. You could stay much more centrally but not the centre and use public transport real easy and your travel costs are capped now, so no matter how much you use buses and trains, it won't cost more than £6.80 I think. I doubt you can do that from further out. Just use a Premier Inn or look at one of the hotel sites. I recently stayed in a 5* hotel by Tower bridge for about £65. Swimming pool, sauna, air con and oh yes, a window.

But did it open?

This thread reminds me of a time we popped in to a Little Chef attached to the Travelodge we had been in.

Asked for an omelette breakfast only to be told that they couldn't do any omelettes;there was a large stack of eggs on the counter:rolleyes:.

Food I've had in 'spoons has been ok for the price but there are certainly better places to eat and yes they may be more expensive (shock, horror,rip-off britain etc, etc;)).

Oh and the boss of 'spoons is a bit of an arse;after shouting for brexit apparently he's now said we need immigration to keep his gaffs staffed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-immigration-good-thing-britain-a8089041.html

Oh and drinks might go up too :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
This thread reminds me of a time we popped in to a Little Chef attached to the Travelodge we had been in.

Asked for an omelette breakfast only to be told that they couldn't do any omelettes;there was a large stack of eggs on the counter:rolleyes:.

Food I've had in 'spoons has been ok for the price but there are certainly better places to eat and yes they may be more expensive (shock, horror,rip-off britain etc, etc;)).

Oh and the boss of 'spoons is a bit of an arse;after shouting for brexit apparently he's now said we need immigration to keep his gaffs staffed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-immigration-good-thing-britain-a8089041.html

Oh and drinks might go up too :whistle:

I did not know Brexit was only about immigration.

you need to check out the tfl journey planner reiver - google it - it's very good - you don't just have to put recognised stations or transport stops into it - you can give it Greenwood Hotel for instance. It would be doable for days in London if you are prepared to stay out all day and don't mind a trip of a an hour or a bit more at each end of the day. The Greenwood isn't very handy for tubes (I cycled there on the way back from visiting a friend - turns out I have been cycling very near to it for years) so you need to use the bus or walk a bit at the beginning.

Not very handy for Kings Cross.

I would say that area is pretty safe.

At least you could look forward to some nice beer at the end of the day in nice surroundings instead of the fizz served by most hotels, however many stars they have. And if any metropolitan type sneers at that journey time, just remember that many of the poor sods commute for that time or more at the end of each day with their nose in someone's armpit on the tube. You would doubtless travel outside the rush hour.

I think you would be talking zone 4 or so so not the end of the world.

So, depends if you like long days out I would say - I don't need it as a hotel but the rooms looked quite nice from the pics on the web.

Good price, think I know where you mean. I bet the in-house beer at the end of the day was pretty crap though. Did you use the swimming pool, sauna, in-house manicurist? Rooms with no windows? Some of those are I think used by folk for sexual assignations*, so windows not so important unless one of the parties has exhibitionist tendencies, wants to do the business in a ground floor room with the curtains open or display themselves to London inner suburbs. I do know the odd London hotel, pretty mainstream/"respectable" which offers rooms in the afternoon for slots of three hours or so for businessfolk who want to "relax/work" between meetings.

This has strayed a bit from breakfast in Cambridge but the OP was sorted - this is the way threads go, and I was picking up on stuff in your post.

Sweet dreams, with or without windows :smile:

Good price, think I know where you mean. I bet the in-house beer at the end of the day was pretty crap though. Did you use the swimming pool, sauna, in-house manicurist? Rooms with no windows? Some of those are I think used by folk for sexual assignations*, so windows not so important unless one of the parties has exhibitionist tendencies, wants to do the business in a ground floor room with the curtains open or display themselves to London inner suburbs. I do know the odd London hotel, pretty mainstream/"respectable" which offers rooms in the afternoon for slots of three hours or so for businessfolk who want to "relax/work" between meetings.

This has strayed a bit from breakfast in Cambridge but the OP was sorted - this is the way threads go, and I was picking up on stuff in your post.

Sweet dreams, with or without windows :smile:
I'm not sure I want to know which establishments in London you are familiar with!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
[QUOTE 5390289, member: 9609"]...would Northolt be a safe area to be in ?[/QUOTE]

Northolt's a bit of a desert between Ruislip, Pinner, and Harrow. But there is a lovely little old church beside the remains of a moated manor, with a superb ghost story to match.*

* Nicholas de Brembre, lord of the manor, fell out with the king and was executed in 1388. He rode back to the manor with his head under his arm and broke into the church by the north door to demand that the terrified priest give him last rites. The priest fled. De Brembre continued to haunt the place until the Rosicrucians came, exorcised him & blocked up the door. The moat is just a shallow depression, but sometimes his head appears, glowing and floating there.

I presume there's a Spoons somewhere in Northolt.

Top Bottom