Campagnolo Khamsin freehub noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aperitif

Meme bar
Less than eight months old, the freehub/ bearings - or something - has developed a whirry grating - but intermittent noise.
Pedalling is not a problem - no noise...but if I freewheel and adjust the pedal position to 'a certain point' by back - pedalling, I can sometimes recreate the mild grating nuisance noise.
Last night I dismantled the freehub, the ratchet and pawls are in good condition, the whole assembly is clean greased and in good order.
I can only assume there is a sealed ball race problem within the wheel?
Any ideas or experience please?

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've got campag Khamsin wheels and as a far as I know the freehub is meant to make that noise, mine has always and its quite audible; its good for warning peds.

OP
OP
Aperitif

Aperitif

Meme bar
Ha ha HLaB - I don't mean the usual Campag clang clackety clack - it's almost like a grinding bottom bracket type of noise...when freewheeling ie:the axle not turning... wierd:wacko: (I replaced the BB last night too;))

yenrod

Aperitif said:
Less than eight months old, the freehub/ bearings - or something - has developed a whirry grating - but intermittent noise.
Pedalling is not a problem - no noise...but if I freewheel and adjust the pedal position to 'a certain point' by back - pedalling, I can sometimes recreate the mild grating nuisance noise.
Last night I dismantled the freehub, the ratchet and pawls are in good condition, the whole assembly is clean greased and in good order.
I can only assume there is a sealed ball race problem within the wheel?
Any ideas or experience please?

Heh - Ap' - why not just get a new f.hub if thats possible. (if its the same kind of fit as shimano ie remove axle unscrew f.hub etc..;))

Most things are made noawadays to be fitandforget stuff! - sadly.

OP
OP
Aperitif

Aperitif

Meme bar
It's all 'in good nick' with no deformation..only thing is, it might be the seal between freehub and the spinning wheel?
I'll give it a kick or two tomorrow - too tired tonight after watching the TdF descent :blush:...
It's only noise but **** me - a nuisance! :blush:

Cookie

Did you ever find the solution to the noise? I'm experiencing exactly the same thing with exactly the same hub. I've taken the free hub off and have noticed some very slight burring on the inside edge of the free hub body. I've filed them down slightly but to no avail, the noise remains. It's driving me insane! I'm wondering whether one of the bearing races inside the free hub but its not obvious. Did you end up just buying a new free hub?

Top Bottom